Issue with Taco 241 swet-check

Users who are viewing this thread

gtmtnbiker

Reaction score
About a couple of days ago, we developed a problem with our heating system where one zone continues to put out heat even though the circulator pump is off. I believe the issue to be the Taco 241 Swet Check (flow check valve) has some sort of blockage such that it's not closing up correctl.

I confirmed by shutting the ball valve for the zone that the heat is being generated by convective currents.

I'm in Mass and it's the middle of our heating system. I'm thinking of living with the issue (it's the upstairs zone) by keeping the ball valve 2/3 closed and leaving the thermostat off.

When it gets warmer, I can open the valve and clean out the weight/seat/etc to make sure there is no debris.

Does this type of issue commonly happen to people? What kind of debris would be in there to prevent the valve from closing?

I didn't want to do this now because it would require me to drain the 2nd floor zone and then purge the system of air after the valve has been cleaned.

How hard is it to clean these Taco 241 flow-check valves?

Thanks,
--Bill

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Take s hammer and whack the thing from the underside a couple of times. Not too hard mind you just give her a couple sharp raps. sometimes the check will stick in the up position.

gtmtnbiker

Reaction score
Take s hammer and whack the thing from the underside a couple of times. Not too hard mind you just give her a couple sharp raps. sometimes the check will stick in the up position.

Thanks nhmaster. That seems to have done the trick. Do you think it is likely that the problem might occur again before the end of the heating season?

In any case, I plan to open up both valves and clean them out this summer.

gtmtnbiker

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help, nhmaster.

I was looking at your profile. You already posted 1000+ times, an average of 6 posts a day. Very impressive!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks