Boiler return temperature

Users who are viewing this thread

gtmtnbiker

Reaction score
On my boiler (Weil-McLain CGa5) , I have a temperature/pressure gauge on the supply side. There's no gauge on the return side. In the manual, it stresses that the return temp should not be less than 130 deg. How is this verified? Should there be a temp gauge on the return? Or does one calculate the theoretical return temp based on the BTU output of the baseboards?

The reason that I'm interested is to explore the possibility of having outdoor reset control installed on the boiler. In that case, it might be good to have a temp gauge on the return to monitor the temp.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gauge

It is not usually done, but you could just install a thermometer in the return line. If the temperature is too low, then you either have to large a system for the piping, or the flow rate is too slow and the water is losing too much temperature before it gets back to the boiler.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Run the zones...put your hand on each one...if it's too hot to hold, your good, use common sense...don't grab it...touch lightly first.
130 degree's is the same as the max hot temperature of a faucets hot...barely able to put your hand under it.
The concern is if the temp gets too low from heat loss it could crack the CI exchanger...very unlikely unless you run hundreds of feet in extremely cold temps.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks