Search results

1. sinkholed

Plumber cancelled; how hard to install tub?

Thinking this is what you're referring to? It was soldered in at the showerhead but not at the tub. I'll add 2x4 behind both. Pick up some brass screws to attach the showerhead 90, and copper straps to attach the tub 90. After the whole shebang gets moved. Thank you! --Bob
  2. sinkholed

Not sure if I follow. I believe you mean the tub spout copper is too long? I'm pretty sure it still needs to be cut back to the normal length that a standard tub spout extends from the wall. --Bob
  3. sinkholed

We'd considered that but it would've tightened up the space between the tub & toilet. I believe we still would've complied with code (believe it's 13-1/2" from centerline of toilet to tub edge?). But by now it's almost 6 of one/half dozen of another. The extra time to fur the wall (and a...
  4. sinkholed

That settles it, I'll just have to hope he can move me up to Monday or Tuesday for the fix. As it is I'm doing electric, so I can do partial wallboard, so I can get something done since I still can't do the tub yet. And to think it'd all be done by now if only the wife had been willing to go...
  5. sinkholed

Me too, but not nearly as bug-nutty as my wife would drive me if I don't fix it;) Guess you mean the 2 mounting screws at the top of the valve that attach it to the blocking (not shown in picture)? I'll check again, but that bottom elbow on the rightside copper supply line is just under...
  6. sinkholed

Plumbing update... Plumber did install the rough in for the new valve, but despite having the rough in specs, "Houston, we have a problem!" I can't install the tub until this is fixed (don't think he'd want to handle working an open flame around the Vikrell fiberglass...one mistake and...
  7. sinkholed

"John The Reliable Plumber" reliably returned today to install the tub/shower control and stub cap my supply lines to toilet & sink. Great as you guys are, this guy's the greatest. 65 and honest as the day he was born. And a real nice guy to boot. Swapped stories for near an hour after he'd...
  8. sinkholed

Replaced part of 2x6 sole plate beneath wet wall between bathrooms. Note new 2x10 joist has been added beneath 2x6, and new 2x6 nailer has been notched & sistered to joist. Added 2x6 bracing/nailers (1 at exterior wall; 1 to right if toilet). Replaced some bad 5/8 ply. From beneath you can...
  9. sinkholed

It's a fine balancing act when, as a homeowner, you start weighing what you can and can't do yourself. It's a line I've been living on for months. I felt as ok as I could about the $5500 outlay for a new gas furnace install and the concurrent in-ground oil tank remediation. But "Sinkholed" was...
  10. sinkholed

Actually a delay in my tub means he won't be available when tub arrives this Monday. I could likely get him to do the copper & valve work tomw, and then try to install the tub myself, something I've never done. If you look at pictures 3,4 & 5 from...
  11. sinkholed

Redo stack or not? Pictures depict my problem

With any luck I've got just such a guy. Comes highly recommended and seemed ultra-professionally reassuring. Plan is for a 2-day job with my friend's joist work being done between the plumber's day 1 & 2. As predicted, he will replumb the not-to-be-renovated bathroom and get it reconnected the...
  12. sinkholed

Didn't intend to portray a "casual attitude" regarding the structural & plumbing mess the original developer installed 33 years ago. My wife -- who wants both these adjoining bathrooms finished with 12" ceramic tile -- is the one with the casual attitude. I'm here precisely because I don't want...
  13. sinkholed

I've had no problems with the plumbing into this stack. The tub does drain a bit slower than in the past, but it could probably use a cleanout to restore its prior good drainage. If I redo I assume that six-sided connection would the first thing to go. In lieu of that, a new double tee could...
  14. sinkholed

OK, let's say that I do rip out the stack and replumb it. What does that gain me? Well, I get the structural problem fixed, because once I don't have all those pvc connections in-line with the joists, I can properly support the bathrooms above it. That is, after all, what I want. But what...
  15. sinkholed

Everything is original plumbing for new construction in 1974, presumably to code. All except the open drain on left of stack (has clear plastic tube inserted in & attached to it) that handles new high efficiency gas furnace just installed. Plumbing inspector signed off on permit for that. Not...
  16. sinkholed

This is the main stack... Note how it is offset from the foundation wall. Also that it interfered with the joists (all the branchings from the stack are done at same height as the hoists) Note how there are NO JOISTS underneath either of these bathrooms. The stack continues...
  17. sinkholed

Sawzall blade for steel tub??

I got more of the same sawzall blades & only needed 2 of them to cut the tub in half. It was quick BUT SCARY work -- I have a healthy respect for how one slip can lead to major injury. Sledge would've been safer, but given how the tub was wedged/attached to framing studs, I was afraid the sledge...
  18. sinkholed

Where can I get this funky DWV PVC 6-sided cross piece???

Main soil stack is directly below adjoining bathrooms. Stack contains a single piece of PVC that's a SIX-connector piece. This thing literally handles everything but the kitchen sink:eek: NORTH goes up & out to roof vent SOUTH goes down to connect to house drain WEST connects out & up...
  19. sinkholed

How long do copper water lines last?

Wow...great question & eye-opening answers. Making me think maybe I should replace the copper supply lines in the bathrooms I'm redoing (house is 34 years old).
  20. sinkholed

PVC Plumbing too high; need to lower

Sure right about that. The "carpenter/structural engineer" looked at it last night. Luckily I have a friend that's finished gutting & rebuilding a summer house, and has a finished frame on a two room addition for it already inspected. When I finally realized how poorly the floor surrounding the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks