Search results

1. Gardner

Toto Flush lever complaint

Old thread, but useful info for me as my Drake's handle failed in the same way as all the others. I've put a dab of grease in the pocket and it is working for now. I tried to buy a replacement off Amazon, but I would up with the wrong part. I'll track a plastic replacement one down at Home...
  2. Gardner

Flow switch for UV filter

Even when the water is not flowing through the U/V sterilizer, there is a continuous column of water for the bacteria to move around in. Giardia and cryptosporidium actually actively swim. Bacteria will move around by diffusion. This can put live baddies on the clean side of the sterilizer...
  3. Gardner

fittings for "guzzler" style hand pump

So a bit more research reveals that these pumps are made of a plastic called Acetal, also known as Delrin. Aside from various laudable properties, it cannot be solvent welded. It can be glued with epoxy and PU. Neither of which I would consider ideal. I can't believe that there are no...
  4. Gardner

fittings for "guzzler" style hand pump

I am plumbing the priming system for my cottage pump. I have a "guzzler" style Chinese knock-off diaphragm pump. I will need to go from the pump inlet fitting to the rest if the plumbing, and from the outlet to a vinyl discharge hose. The fittings look to be 3/4 gray PVC. It seems like a 3/4...
  5. Gardner

DIYer questions - Flange and concrete sub floor not level...

It looks like 3 tap-con screws holding down the brass ring. This is a totally amateur opinion: I would say that you could loosen up the tap-con screws, and carefully bend back the lead enough to free up the brass ring. Then shim the brass ring up to be level, or closer to level, and fill the...
  6. Gardner

DIYer questions - Flange and concrete sub floor not level...

That looks like a lead bend to me. Is it poured right into the slab so you can't access from underneath at all?
  7. Gardner

low lift jet pump priming

Thanks all. My pump does have a foot valve, so once it's primed it will stay primed week after week, even with intermittent -- 1 hour a week -- running. The issue is priming it when it loses its prime -- yearly at least and sometimes if it sits for a long time or when the foot valve gets some...
  8. Gardner

low lift jet pump priming

I posted some of the details about my jet pump installation in another thread. It is set up to draw from a lake and pump sits only about 4 ft above lake level. Even so, priming is a PITA. I have been thinking a bit about simplifying priming it. My scheme is to plumb in one of those cheap...
  9. Gardner

suitable union for jet pump intake hose

I have a 3/4 HP jet pump installed in a seasonal cottage. It pulls water from a lake via a 1-1/4 polyethylene hose. The pickup hose has to be disconnected and removed from the lake each winter due to freezing and ice movement. At the moment, the poly hose is connected via a steel hose barb...
  10. Gardner

Stainless Steel Shower Base Installation

Does this pan need more than just a mortar bed to support it, like you would put under a bathtub?
  11. Gardner

Did my pipe break, or did someone try to steal it?

HJ, you gotta get some glasses. That's copper. It does not look at all like freeze damage. Freeze damage bursts the pipe outwards.
  12. Gardner

Toilet supply thru floor

Nice. Doug Fir makes beautiful floors, 'specially the tight-grained old-growth. I am envious.
  13. Gardner

New deeper kitchen sink causes slight DWV problems

I'm curious what's off to the right in your first picture. Is there another fixture or something that might me more amenable to the DW drain? You might find a suitable drain saddle tap that could be fitted in a more convenient location on a standard tailpiece. The ones I've seen are for R-O...
  14. Gardner

A rare look at wood sewer pipe

Heck they used lead acetate as a SWEETENER in cooking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%28II%29_acetate
  15. Gardner

Yet another toilet flange question...

I think you want to avoid using a regular outside fit flange and a repair coupling as they will not fit as closely as you need. A 3-inch street flange (one that is fits into a 3-inch hub and is the same O/D as the 3-inch pipe) in a 3-inch repair coupling will give you an extra-tall outside-fit...
  16. Gardner

Hard to find

Did you unscrew the aerators and clean all the crap off the screens? Blocked aerators is pretty common after a plumbing change.
  17. Gardner

Another Broken toilet flange thread!

I do not believe it is a given that the lead bend has to be replaced. If it is sound, the brass ring can be re-attached after the floor is built. It is also reasonable to simply peen over the lead -- it does not have to be soldered, and may not originally have been soldered. If you keep your...
  18. Gardner

Replace entire assembly or its ok?

I realise you're getting mixed signals on that score. My opinion (and do not confuse this with advice) is that a total tear-out is not warranted. Most of the copper drain that is accessible here is vent, and I doubt very much that anything is likely to go wrong with it, even in another 50...
  19. Gardner

Replace entire assembly or its ok?

The only thing I would recommend is ensuring you have a good serviceable trap adapter on that drain before you close anything in. The present trap arm is soldered onto the copper and you will find it very difficult to adjust it when it come to fitting a new sink. Cut it off now and fit a new...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks