suitable union for jet pump intake hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a 3/4 HP jet pump installed in a seasonal cottage. It pulls water from a lake via a 1-1/4 polyethylene hose. The pickup hose has to be disconnected and removed from the lake each winter due to freezing and ice movement.

At the moment, the poly hose is connected via a steel hose barb, but when the weather gets cold this is a real PITA to deal with. I would like to install a union on the intake hose side of the pump to facilitate disconnecting and reconnecting. I'm looking for some recommendations or opinions what is a good choice for this.

I can find a nice 1-1/4 copper sweat union that I could make up with the other fittings. It would be a bit of money for all the parts though.
A couple of galvanized nipples and a galvanized union would be a lot cheaper. How do galvanized unions perform after rusting a few years and being opened and reconnected each year?

I think I can order a plastic one -- polypropylene or PVC -- but they don't seem to be off-the-shelf items around here.

Any best practices I should be aware of?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a couple of PVC unions and they are very easy to break. No way would I use them where I need to make/break often.
Go with threaded brass. The amount of lead in them is only a concern if you live in California.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks