Search results

1. Mliu

Need an adapter to attach a laminar outlet to a mop sink faucet

I have a mop sink faucet and would like to attach this Kohler High-Flow Laminar Outlet: This outlet is like an aerator in that it "smooths" the water flow from the faucet outlet, thus reducing splashes, but it doesn't add air to the water stream. Because it doesn't have the restrictive...
  2. Mliu

Fisher Model 1400, Searching for 3/8 COMP x 3/8 FIP faucet supply hose (24" long)

It seems that most faucet supply hoses end in 1/2 FIP but I need 3/8 FIP for a Fisher Water Station (the inlet is 3/8 male NPS). The hoses I've found by searching online are only 20" long (max) and I'm not even sure if they're correct because they are labeled "3/8 FIP COMP X 3/8 FIP COMP"...
  3. Mliu

Pouring a concrete slab around a PVC floor sink.

I'm installing some PVC floor sinks into a concrete slab. We've cut the existing slab for the new drain pipes and the floor sinks. After the sinks and other drains are installed, we will backfill the trenches and pour concrete to fill the cuts in the existing slab. I'm thinking it might be...
  4. Mliu

Why is 95/5 solder not recommended for brass?

I just happened to read a product review for solder that said 95% tin/5% antimony solder is not recommended for soldering brass and should not be used for copper plumbing in general. I've never heard this before and thought that 95/5 was a common lead-free solder used for plumbing. I just...
  5. Mliu

Anyone have experience with an AO Smith BTX-80 commercial water heater?

Planning to purchase and looking for feedback.
  6. Mliu

Do I need additional cleanouts?

I'm having some difficulty wrapping my mind around the IPC code requirements for cleanouts. The part that's confusing me is the Exception in IPC 708.1.1: Exception: Horizontal fixture drain piping serving a non-removable trap shall not be required to have a cleanout for the section of piping...
  7. Mliu

Vent Tees for venting horizontal branch drains

It's my understanding that a Vent Tee can be used on its back to dry vent a horizontal branch drain. But when looking at diagrams and photos of horizontal branch drains, the majority show the installation of a Sanitary Tee on its back for connecting the dry vent. I believe both tees are...
  8. Mliu

Attaching cover plates for wall cleanouts?

I'm curious about how wall cleanout cover plates are attached. I've seen special cleanout plugs that have a threaded insert and come with their own cover plate. Presumably, the long cover attachment screw that's included is cut in the field so that it doesn't bottom out in the threaded insert...
  9. Mliu

Need advice on venting a mop sink.

Ok, on to Round 2. I've abandoned the idea of using a combination waste and vent design (even though I'm under IPC, which seems much laxer than the UPC on this subject). To further simplify the DWV, I have Hand Sink #1 draining indirectly into Floor Sink #1, and Hand Sink #2 draining indirectly...
  10. Mliu

Need advice on DWV layout for small cafe (commercial space)

I'm working on a small bakery & cafe. I'll need to install new drain lines, tying into an existing waste line in the service corridor behind the shop. (The existing line flows to a grease interceptor that services the building.) I'm planning the shop layout and need some advice on the design of...
  11. Mliu

Are trap seals a code-compliant alternative to trap primers?

I want to have some floor drains in the commercial kitchen of the cafe we're building. Are the new trap drain seals an acceptable and code-compliant alternative to installing trap primers? I've heard that primers are expensive and problematic. The trap seal I have in mind is SureSeal by...
  12. Mliu

How to vent a floor sink when the closest wall is almost 10' away?

In the cafe I'm designing, there will be a coffee bar with a 3-compartment sink. The sink's drain will be indirectly plumbed to a floor sink with a required air gap. But the closest wall is 9.6 feet from the location of this floor sink. Is it acceptable for the vent to be that far from the floor...
  13. Mliu

Can a lavatory in a commercial restroom empty into a floor drain?

I'm laying out a public restroom for a small cafe that we're building. I want to have a floor drain for washing down the floor, and I've been considering installing a linear drain along the back wall (which is also the wet wall with a hung toilet, urinal, and lavatory). I got to thinking about...
  14. Mliu

Need advice on urinals: models, installation, servicing

As I mentioned in a previous thread, we're planning to open a small cafe. I want to install a urinal (along with a toilet) in our single-occupancy restroom. We're in Colorado where "WaterSense" is required by law, so that means we're limited to 0.125g per urinal flush. I'm leaning in favor of...
  15. Mliu

Commercial wall-hung toilet reviews & recommendations?

We're getting ready to build-out our first retail shop: a small cafe. I want to have a tankless wall-hung toilet installed in the public bathroom. It's easy to find consumer reviews of residential toilets, but I haven't seen any reviews and comparisons of commercial toilets. Even though I have...
  16. Mliu

Longevity of Carbon Steel Lakos Sandmaster?

Planning to install a Lakos Sandmaster. They have two models: one carbon steel and one stainless. According to Lakos, the wetted interior of the carbon steel Sandmaster is bare with no galvanization or other coating. I'm curious how long it will last before it starts pinholing. The price...
  17. Mliu

Water hammer while well is pumping

Property owner has an existing shallow, low-yield well feeding a 3,000 gallon atmospheric storage tank for landscape irrigation. He wanted more volume so he had a second shallow well drilled approx 150' lateral distance from the first well. The discharge from the first well flows through 1" PVC...
  18. Mliu

Advice requested: Installing a PVC water supply line above ground?

At an industrial complex in the San Francisco Bay Area, we have a buried water supply pipeline. This pipeline serves several low-consumption applications: an equipment pressure washer, some irrigation, etc. But it also supplies the home of a caretaker's residence which is located on-site...
  19. Mliu

Alarm for excessive water flow?

We have an industrial property that includes an industrial park, as well as three homes for on-site personnel. The water for the homes and some of the industrial facilities comes from the same service line. The back-flow valve is at the street and is plumbed with copper, but transitions to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks