Longevity of Carbon Steel Lakos Sandmaster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mliu

Reaction score
Planning to install a Lakos Sandmaster. They have two models: one carbon steel and one stainless. According to Lakos, the wetted interior of the carbon steel Sandmaster is bare with no galvanization or other coating. I'm curious how long it will last before it starts pinholing. The price difference between the two is $145: significant, but not outlandish. I'm wondering if it's better to go with stainless and never have to worry about it in the future.

Reach4

Reaction score

Mliu

Reaction score
Are you worried about corrosion from water quality or erosion from the sand?
Corrosion from water. I've never seen uncoated carbon steel immersed 24/7 in water that didn't rust to some degree, no matter the quality of the water. I thought that's why steel water pipe is galvanized.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would probably go with the stainless anyway. $145 is about the price of a water test.

No experience, but I like stainless, which I think you do too.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You would be better off with a Lakos over the pump, it will save the wet end from abrasion and keep the crap out of the system.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I put one in about 4 years ago that as far as I know is still going strong. I gave the customer the choice and he opted for the cheaper one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks