Search results

1. AdrianMariano

Fixing dishwasher drain ("sweating" drain hose)

If it's a bad idea to drain into the utility sink then I won't do it. That's why I ask these questions. I'm curious, though: wouldn't the dishwasher have a valve? Does it really rely on the drain path to not drain in order to stay full? Seems like a bad design. What kind of hose would you...
  2. AdrianMariano

That's interesting. The utility sink is pretty gross the way things are now. I have the impression from my wife that stuff draining from the kitchen actually backs up out into the utility sink a lot of the time. The kitchen drains into the same pipe as the utility sink and I guess that pipe...
  3. AdrianMariano

My dishwasher drain has a translucent ribbed hose in the basement that connects to a black hose that goes up into the kitchen to the disposal. The black hose was in the house when I bought it and likely dates to the mid 90's. I noticed recently that it is covered with oil on the outside. It...
  4. AdrianMariano

Bathroom sink trap: PVC or Polypropylene

Thanks for the advice. I would say there's a second thing that matters beyond "no leaks", which is that water actually drains. Or to be more succinct: no clogs. And of course I'd like it to work properly for a long time, so no leaks or clogs in 20 years. My existing piping doesn't...
  5. AdrianMariano

Bathroom sink trap: PVC or Polypropylene

I'm removing some badly constricted steel pipes that drain my bathroom sink and tub and replacing with PVC. The existing trap under the bathroom sink is a heavy weight 1.5" sched 40 PVC and screws together with metal nuts. I can't reuse all of it because the end piece is glued to some ABS...
  6. AdrianMariano

Kitchen faucet arm hard to turn

I'm not sure I understand your problem. I do not think that the hoses underneath matter, because I don't think they move when you turn the faucet. (The long hose might move a teeny bit, but not enough to be noticed.) When I disassembled mine I removed the pull out hose completely. And...
  7. AdrianMariano

I didn't let the spring get tangled up. It seemed fairly well behaved, actually. I did step on it once, though. And the hookup under the sink for the hose is really nice---I didn't get any water under the sink.
  8. AdrianMariano

Here's my final report in case anybody is looking for a solution to the same problem: I found that in order to get the hose out I had to pry the water supply lines to the side (reaching in from the top). The hose was catching on the ends of the water supply lines and even when I pulled very...
  9. AdrianMariano

Not sure what you're asking.
  10. AdrianMariano

We'd never noticed any obvious siphoning problems, but I installed an air admittance valve when I redid the sink. (Connecting a proper P-trap would have entailed ripping out the kitchen cabinets.) Here's a picture where you can see the pipes:
  11. AdrianMariano

I took apart the faucet last night. It turns out the screw is hidden under a plastic ring that snaps down. Anyway, I found that the pull out hose prevented me from getting the arm off. But when I tried to remove the pull out hose (from the top) it seemed to get stuck. I wasn't sure how hard...
  12. AdrianMariano

Thanks. Looks like there's supposed to be a screw underneath the front of the handle. I vaguely recall that there is a spring (as shown in the diagram), rather than a weight to retract the pull out hose.
  13. AdrianMariano

I would say I'm adept mechanically, but I've never taken a faucet apart like this, and I've noticed that they go to some pains to hide the fasteners that hold it together. So first step, remove the pull out hose. But what's the normal way of removing the handle? I've never noticed any...
  14. AdrianMariano

If I take a close look at the faucet will it be obvious how to go about this disassembly? (This is a style with a pull out hose, if it matters.) Note also that the faucet was installed two years ago, so it's not really old.
  15. AdrianMariano

My wife complained that the arm of the Grohe kitchen faucet is hard to turn between the sinks. And indeed it seems harder to turn than it should. (Like the force needed to turn it causes the whole faucet to tip slightly to the side.) It looked pretty dirty around the faucet base, so I tried...
  16. AdrianMariano

installing 2 garbage disposals

We only hand wash the sharp knives, things with wood on them, and the stuff that doesn't fit in the dishwasher. But often both sinks will up with dirty dishes when the dishwasher is full. We have one large bowl and one small bowl. (Use to be two equal sized bowls but that was terrible...
  17. AdrianMariano

tub drain won't stay down

I took a close look at the assembly over the weekend and noticed that there was indeed an adjustment for the height of the drain plug. I lowered it and the problem is solved.
  18. AdrianMariano

If I press the drain plug down it seals. Could it still be misaligned? Where would I look for adjustments to the operating rod? (I didn't realize there was anything to adjust.)
  19. AdrianMariano

Let me note that we have nobody with long hair in the house. The drain seems to drain properly and speedily at the moment (though we have had some mysterious periods of slow draining). It's certainly not clogged. If I pull out the assembly from the drain which includes the plug that is...
  20. AdrianMariano

We have a Kohler tub installed with a Kohler drain about 3 years ago. The drain is operated by a lever on the side of the tub. And for a while now if you fill up the tub the drain will float open. It won't stay down. If you push it down it opens back up again. What could be the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks