tub drain won't stay down

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by adrianmariano, Jan 3, 2008.

1. adrianmariano

adrianmariano New Member

We have a Kohler tub installed with a Kohler drain about 3 years ago. The drain is operated by a lever on the side of the tub. And for a while now if you fill up the tub the drain will float open. It won't stay down. If you push it down it opens back up again.

What could be the explanation for this unclosable drain? (It worked fine for the first 2.5 years.)
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A tub drain?

I would think hair
    Lots and lots of hair

Gimme head with hair
    Long beautiful hair
    Shining, gleaming,
    Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
    Shoulder length or longer
    Here baby, there mama
    Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
    Flow it, show it
    Long as God can grow it
  3. adrianmariano

adrianmariano New Member

Let me note that we have nobody with long hair in the house. The drain seems to drain properly and speedily at the moment (though we have had some mysterious periods of slow draining). It's certainly not clogged. If I pull out the assembly from the drain which includes the plug that is supposed to seal the drain and the arm that connects to the knob which closes the drain, that assembly is clean. No signs of hair (or anything else). Is there someplace else to look? I think it's draining too fast for hair clog removing chemicals to do anything.

I have to admit also that I'm confused about how the presence of hair would create the particular behavior I've observed: The tub drains just fine, but if I try to close the drain it tends to float open in the tub water. It is possible to keep the water from draining out by holding the drain shut, but as soon as you let go it floats up and water starts draining out.

I realized I said the drain is operated by a lever but that's wrong. It's operated by a knob that you turn.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Either a misadjusted operating rod, or misaligned drain plug when you insert it.
  5. adrianmariano

adrianmariano New Member

If I press the drain plug down it seals. Could it still be misaligned?

Where would I look for adjustments to the operating rod? (I didn't realize there was anything to adjust.)
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Well, maybe rule out hair then.

Darn, I kinda like that song.

Some pop up drains can be lifted out and adjusted.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

If it's a "Toe-Touch" plug, it might have become unthreaded from the drain. They can be tricky to reset.
  8. adrianmariano

adrianmariano New Member

I took a close look at the assembly over the weekend and noticed that there was indeed an adjustment for the height of the drain plug. I lowered it and the problem is solved.