Water heater pilot flame won't stay lit

Users who are viewing this thread

Billschartiger

Reaction score
So I'm having some troubles here. I have a GE smart water tank from 07. The flame went out so I tried to re light it. Well the pilot lights up just fine. As soon as I turn on the burner it lights up fine for about 5 seconds then turns off like its running out of gas and after I try to re light the pilot it takes about 5 mins to get the pilot back on. New gas control valve, thermocouple, whole burner assy. Still no change???

Also all my other gas appliances work just fine

Workingtoohard

Reaction score
Bumping this because I am experiencing the exact same thing too. While showering, usually towards the tail end, we will lose hot water. When I go to check the gas heater, the flame is gone. I can spark the pilot light again, but like the guy above, the flame slowly shrinks and dies off after like 5 seconds. It is a new gas heater too replaced few days ago.

I am guessing nothing wrong with the thermocouple, else the pilot light would extinguish immediately? And because it only happens after a while showering, I am starting to lean towards the lack of ventilation problem. It is in an area with poor ventilation but the area is quite large like a bedroom size, so didn't think there would be such a ventilation problem. I have also lowered the heat setting from the max high to medium, hoping it will consume less combustible air.

Hopefully this problem will go away. But nonetheless, still curious if any experts here have other opinions. And if this is really a ventilation problem, how do people solve it in a space not built for ventilation, forced to break a hole in the wall? Add some fan somewhere?

Thanks!

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Bumping this because I am experiencing the exact same thing too. While showering, usually towards the tail end, we will lose hot water. When I go to check the gas heater, the flame is gone. I can spark the pilot light again, but like the guy above, the flame slowly shrinks and dies off after like 5 seconds. It is a new gas heater too replaced few days ago.

I am guessing nothing wrong with the thermocouple, else the pilot light would extinguish immediately? And because it only happens after a while showering, I am starting to lean towards the lack of ventilation problem. It is in an area with poor ventilation but the area is quite large like a bedroom size, so didn't think there would be such a ventilation problem. I have also lowered the heat setting from the max high to medium, hoping it will consume less combustible air.

Hopefully this problem will go away. But nonetheless, still curious if any experts here have other opinions. And if this is really a ventilation problem, how do people solve it in a space not built for ventilation, forced to break a hole in the wall? Add some fan somewhere?

Thanks!

Make sure that your vent is not obstructed; the exhaust needs to escape atmosphericaly.
Just because the room is large does not mean it has adequate fresh air, make sure there is plenty of intake air available.
It may be possible that you have a gas regulator that is not working correctly.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Using a shop vac, try to clean the area around the vent, the floor and walls around the WH, as suggested.
You mentioned that you replaced the thermocouple and the burner assembly - is that correct ?
If that's the case, what's left ? The gas valve.
Your problem is that your WH is from 2007. Expected life for these WHs is 6-10 years. Sure, every once in awhile you see a homeowner that brags about a 30 yo WH, but this never happened to me and to most folks.
Therefore, investing another $150-$300 for a new gas valve is not a smart idea, because don't forget, your tank could leak soon.
I would replace the WH, some of the basic gas WHs have gone down in price in recent months (around $400 for gas 40 gal), and if you can DIY you can have hot water today and save money.
If you DIY, also replace the cold water supply shut off valve, gas shut off valve and flex (if needed) and vent (if needed).

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

Thanks!

" It is in an area with poor ventilation but the area is quite large like a bedroom size, so didn't think there would be such a ventilation problem. I have also lowered the heat setting from the max high to medium, hoping it will consume less combustible air.

How any plumbing inspector would pass a gas fired appliance in a bed room is beyond belief . It takes a certain mindset of the installer willing to risk killing the people who would live there

Absolutely amazing and this should make the "Darwin awards"
amazing

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How any plumbing inspector would pass a gas fired appliance in a bed room is beyond belief . It takes a certain mindset of the installer willing to risk killing the people who would live there

Absolutely amazing and this should make the "Darwin awards"
amazing

I saw a remodel done by hacks that had put a tankless gas WH in the bathroom, connected to the Master bedroom.
They could have installed a wall there and opened up access to the entry way near the front door but chose the Bedroom/bathroom instead.
And then they ran the relief line upward instead of down.
And then crossed the hot and cold to the lav faucet and the shower.
And left the p-trap off the kitchen sink.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I saw a remodel done by hacks that had put a tankless gas WH in the bathroom, connected to the Master bedroom.
They could have installed a wall there and opened up access to the entry way near the front door but chose the Bedroom/bathroom instead.
And then they ran the relief line upward instead of down.
And then crossed the hot and cold to the lav faucet and the shower.
And left the p-trap off the kitchen sink.

This is why we need licensing laws and accountability

In Westchester NY and some towns on long Island if someone was caught doing plumbing without a valid license they would have their truck confiscated and auctioned off .

The building owner would lose their C of O and rightfully so '

NYC made these "professionals" an offer they could not refuse

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/industry/professional-engineers-and-registered-architects.page

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/industry/licensed-plumbers.page

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/industry/other-licensees.page

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/buildings/pdf/industry_code_of_conduct.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks