Trouble replacing valve in minimal clearance skirted toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve N

Reaction score
I am trying to replace a water inlet valve in a Toto skirted toilet, but whoever installed in did not consider the difficulty in unscrewing the water intake. I can fit my hand just barely where the intake unscrews, but I have not successfully fit a wrench back there. Is there any special kind of wrench I could use? Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• 20161204_093518.jpg
    20161204_093518.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 537
  • 20161204_093550.jpg
    20161204_093550.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 543

Reach4

Reaction score
Remove the water as best you can. Open the access panels, lift the toilet, do your work, clean the old caulk, set the toilet in place. Restore bolts. Put caulk in place.

No wax to worry about; Unifit adapter stays in place.

I am not a pro.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Let's see a picture from inside the tank.
That model looks a little different than what I've seen from TOTO. If the tank is held with screws from the inside, it may just be a matter of removing those and lifting the tank off.

Steve N

Reaction score
Well, I was able to twist the fill valve stem a little bit from the inside and got the hand-tightened nut to come loose. Only problem now is that the valve stem may be glued down to the tank, I am having trouble getting it loose. I heard from a toto install video that part of the valve was "factory installed" but could not find any other info on that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe you got the supply line off, which is often hand tight, but the plastic nut that holds the fill valve on is much tighter than that on the tanks that come from the factory. I still think the tank should come off.

abak_pacifica.jpg

Steve N

Reaction score
Maybe you got the supply line off, which is often hand tight, but the plastic nut that holds the fill valve on is much tighter than that on the tanks that come from the factory. I still think the tank should come off.

You are correct Terry. I took off the tank and there was the plastic nut (duh!). The instructions with the Korky kit said to make that locking nut (the upper one) hand tight, which I did with the tank off, so got it hand tight putting a good grip on it. After that everything went well, no obvious leaks. I screwed the tank right back on, I don't need to replace the washers or anything do I?
Thanks for your help everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks