Trying to replace frost free hose bib, just spins and spins

Users who are viewing this thread

Garrett29

Reaction score
I have a newer home with PEX plumbing and frost free outdoor faucets with anti siphon valves and this spring I tried to use the faucet and it wouldn't turn on at all. I pulled out the internals of the faucet and the brass tube is split in 3 spots. All my local hardware stores don't carry the brass tube itself and they don't carry bibs with anti siphon valves either so I decided to replace the whole bib. The trouble is I can't get my hose bib off the side of the house. I have turned and turned it until fatigue has set in but it just spins and spins without coming off. I'm now assuming that the connection in the house is not threaded because of the PEX, and I was ready to bust through the sheetrock in my garage to get to it but then found out my hot water tank is in the way. So my question is how are hose bibs supposed to be connected to PEX? Is there an alternate way to get this off?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No easy way to tell until you can expose the fitting used. It may actually screw into the fitting, but with PEX, that fitting is then just crimped in place. Ideally, they'd have used a drop-ear el, and anchored it to something solid. Then, it would be easy to unscrew it.

It's also possible that the hose bib is directly connected to the PEX, and rotating could have the PEX twisted into a pretzel.
It can also turn copper into a pretzel.

copper-gets-looser.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it was installed using a Shark Bite, then it would make sense that it spins.
Normally we access from the back. If the water heater is in the way, it will be harder.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Move down the wall and install a new one.

Crimp-ring PEX connections will spin, by the way.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks