Recent content by whackit

1. whackit

Taco 5000 male union size/substitute?

I need to run the circuits with no mixing valve... long story. So I need to remove the mixing valve, connect the two hot lines, and plug the cold line where the valve was. I guess I could just buy a mixing valve and gut it and tap a plug in the cold side. Was hoping someone might have some...
  2. whackit

that picture is the same setup I have. So I’m looking to connect the female sides of fitting to a male fitting that is the same as the valve. That way I can remove valve. Insert fitting I make ( bridge hw and plug cw) and test without having to do a bunch of temporary sweats, remove insulation etc.
  3. whackit

Hi Gang, I have a situation where I need to troubleshoot about a dozen Taco 5000 series mixing valves. They all have sweat unions so I’m lookin to make a bypass and a plug so I can run the setups without the mixing valves (bypass the tank hot to supply hot and plug mixing cold inlet). Does...
  4. whackit

Expansion tank dead end?

He couldn't site any code reference. I have seen this plumbed this way a million times. I understand if it was on a 10' dead end but this is like 18".
  5. whackit

Expansion tank dead end?

i just got flagged by an inspector (new guy in neighborhood) for having an expansion tank on a dead end line. It’s tee’d off the cold water supply to water heater and on a 2’ long dead end leg. Given the parameters (small room, big tank, location of backflow valve etc) there is really no other...
  6. whackit

Ordering TOTO toilets... part numbers?

I am a little confused. My supplier (ferguson) doesn't really deal in TOTO that much and I don't do a ton of TOTO toilets. I do get a very good discount there so would like to use them. He is saying that all the bowls are now 1.0gpf and you just use a 1.28gpf tank if that's what you want. I...
  7. whackit

3/8 or 1/2 supply angle stops... what do you use?

So I have always installed 3/8 angle stops.. no particular reason. I recently had a job with an, um, 'particular' customer. He made me swap out all of the 3/8 stops for 1/2 inch ones and told me 'nobody uses 3/8 anymore'. I explained that the lines are the same size etc but he had to have his...
  8. whackit

California (la) Plumbers. Service Entrance Pressure Relief?

I agree. It is common practice in Los Angeles to install a relief valve AFTER the pressure regulator at the service entrance. This seems redundant to a expansion tank. I am just wondering if this is an old throwback practice or if it is still necessary. I can't find any reference to it in the...
  9. whackit

California (la) Plumbers. Service Entrance Pressure Relief?

hello. Need an answer fairly quickly. I'm getting mixed opinions on whether I need to place a pressure relief valve (like a water heater one) at a service entrance or not. I'm getting some yes and some no. Nobody can give me a straight answer and can't get anyone at code desk on the phone...
  10. whackit

Washer standpipe directly to lift pump package?

I have a situation where I need to install a lift pump to get washer drainage up from a basement. I can't get a laundry sink near the washer and was wondering if anyone has gone straight into a mini pump package? Something like a liberty 405. It seems like the specs will handle a washer.
  11. whackit

San T on it's back for cleanout?

I have a situation where I am installing a main line beneath a driveway. Due to some shale etc the line is just beneath the concrete. I need to install a mid line cleanout (over 100' to next one) and I don't have room to get a combo under there. I don't really want to use a test tee but I guess...
  12. whackit

PVC for pressure relief drain?

Hi Gang, I need to install a steam bath generator in a 3rd floor attic. It has a TP valve and a drain pan I need to run to the exterior. Because of a strange location and complex interior layout it's about 80' before I can daylight this line. I would rather just do it in PVC to save the owner...
  13. whackit

Second floor supply loop routing... Help solve brotherly quarrel.

Understood. But (you'll get what side I am on) wouldn't you say that reducing the hot water loop by 16' is significant in long term radiant losses? As well as keeping the pipes within conditioned space?
  14. whackit

Second floor supply loop routing... Help solve brotherly quarrel.

Okay, Multi part story here. But I'll give you the gist of it. I am helping my brother replumb his house. We are using copper because we like it better than pex and the labor is free... The supply is designed around a 3/4 hot water loop. I can either locate it so the trunk runs through the...
  15. whackit

Combining vents. Please proof my layout.

My high school math tells me: Area = pi x radius2. So HJ is comparing the squared radii prior to multiplying by pi.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks