Anyone seen this type of flush valve before? It's an American Standard

Users who are viewing this thread

chevguy

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the water level. It's a regular residential toilet, but I can't find any info when searching the net! American Standards website is hard to navigate. I believe it's the valve style with no float, and I'm not sure how to take it apart.

It's a white plastic tube with a fixed plastic yellow enclosure on top. It has a plastic nut on top that I can unscrew but I can't seam to seperate the top from the bottom. It's two pieces. I found some info on flush valves, but have found nothing that looks like this one!

Thanks for the help!

Okay I searched the achives and founds this https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442 how do I adjust it?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That would be an American Standard fill valve. Like most products made by them it is substandard junk and should be removed and replaced. A Fluidmaster 400A would be a good replacement.

attachment.php

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Smart valve

The smart thing to do with an American Standard Smart valve is to replace it when you install the toilet. They are notorious for having a short time before they fail.

chevguy

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the help guys. Nobody mentioned anything about adjustment. I would have liked to give it a shot.

I'll put the fluidmaster in there.

Thanks again!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

That valve depends on a bubble of air to close it. If the plastic seam cracks, which is the usual problem, the air leaks out and the valve either will not close or it closes and then starts to run again. Once that happens it will run forever, or until the toilet is flushed and starts the cycle over again.

chevguy

Reaction score
I hear ya. Thanks for explaining guys. New valve time for sure!

John

EdA

Reaction score
This thread is almost eight year old, but I'm compelled to post. I cannot speak to the entire lot of American Standard Smart Valves, but the six Smart Valves installed in my house when it was built in 2001 , are still going strong, with absolutely no problem. Based on this thread, all of them should have expired by the time this post began. In contrast, I have had more than one Fluidmaster fail in less then four years.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the longevity of any valve like that depends on your water pressure...higher pressure, things fail sooner. At least on some brands, Fluidmaster and Korky, the wear part is easily replaceable without tools at low cost verses replacing the whole thing. Some designs cannot be repaired, and must be replaced when they fail. Too many people replace the whole thing with Fluidmaster or Korky, not knowing that the seal can be replaced, fixing their problem the vast majority of the time easily, quickly, and cheaply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Too many people replace the whole thing with Fluidmaster or Korky, not knowing that the seal can be replaced, fixing their problem the vast majo

I KNOW the seal can be replaced, but I replace the entire valve anyway. That way I know I will NOT get a callback in a few weeks because it has gone bad again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
quote; Too many people replace the whole thing with Fluidmaster or Korky, not knowing that the seal can be replaced, fixing their problem the vast majo

I KNOW the seal can be replaced, but I replace the entire valve anyway. That way I know I will NOT get a callback in a few weeks because it has gone bad again.
A pro cannot afford to make a second trip to fix something that didn't go right the first time...a homeowner can. Most of the time, a seal will fix it on a Korky or Fulidmaster fill valve at much less than replacing the whole valve (although, neither are expensive). If you are paying someone to do this simple task, a totally new one in parts is cheap as part the total bill.

Mrs Y

Reaction score
Just walked into the downstairs bathroom to find water spilling out of the toilet lever. Opened the tank lid and this was the assembly.
The valves are frozen, can't shut off the water or figure out how to adjust the level. Panicked, searching Google, nothing. In complete frustration I just pushed that big yellow thing down and it stopped .
So there's the dang adjustment! Just hope it holds till the morning.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Just walked into the downstairs bathroom to find water spilling out of the toilet lever. Opened the tank lid and this was the assembly.
The valves are frozen, can't shut off the water or figure out how to adjust the level. Panicked, searching Google, nothing. In complete frustration I just pushed that big yellow thing down and it stopped .
So there's the dang adjustment! Just hope it holds till the morning.

Do you know how to turn off the water to your whole house (valve at water line inlet location or at water meter)? You need to know this in case of emergency.

And you need to replace those frozen shutoff valve(s). You got lucky this time and was able to stop the water overflowing the tank. You may not be so lucky next time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks