Issue with Rain Bird ESP-me controller

Users who are viewing this thread

aguaman

Reaction score
Hello,
just got an irrigation system put in with a Rain Bird ESP-me controller. I have 4 zones with zone 4 set up for a future veg garden so it's not in use. The controller is programmed to run 5 minutes every day starting at 8 am. The issue is this: I noticed that it goes on 5 minutes in zones 1 thru 3 and then back another 5 minutes zones 1 thru 3 and another 5 minutes for the 3 zones. It is programmed to run 5 minutes so why is it really runnig 45 minutes in total?

This is very puzzling to me. I reset the controller twice and programmed it all from scratch but still runs a total of 45 minutes.
Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D

BRD

Reaction score
You have probably confused run times with start times. For prog. A, set each individual station with the run time you want for each (5min.) Then go to program start times and assign just ONE start time. Each zone will run in sequence one right after the other until done. Start time 2 and 3 should be "off".

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to read the setup instructions and understand them, to be able to follow them. Once you understand it, it's fairly simple to do.
In most cases, these timers are much more than what homeowners actually need. Some of the features are never used, but they are there.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You have to read the setup instructions and understand them, to be able to follow them. Once you understand it, it's fairly simple to do.
In most cases, these timers are much more than what homeowners actually need. Some of the features are never used, but they are there.

You mean read the Manual ?

What a concept.

Good Luck if it is in plain English, Now a Days.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You mean read the Manual ?

What a concept.

Good Luck if it is in plain English, Now a Days.

Haha, it's true...

I have helpers, to whom ENGLISH is not their first language, but they manage to read, understand and execute instructions.

Ah, I forgot, the instructions have a Spanish version on the other side.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
this is ALWAYS an operator error

pro controllers never start a zone, they start a program - the error comes when someone mistakenly believes they have to assign a start time for each zone of the system

only one start time - cancel the second and third start times

aguaman

Reaction score
Re-reading the manual and based on BRD's comments, I see that the SET WATERING TIMES is to program the starts times of a PROGRAM (or PROGRAMS) and NOT the zones. I had 2 and 3 thinking them as zones but the controller took them as programs 2 and 3. After 1 ended, program 2 would start and then 3. That's why it ran 3 times. I set to OFF the PROGRAMS 2 and 3 and sure enough it only run a total of 15 minutes (5 minutes per zone).

It is running fine now as I wanted it. Thanks for all the replies and to BRD for hitting the nail in the head.

DonL

Reaction score
Re-reading the manual and based on BRD's comments, I see that the SET WATERING TIMES is to program the starts times of a PROGRAM (or PROGRAMS) and NOT the zones. I had 2 and 3 thinking them as zones but the controller took them as programs 2 and 3. After 1 ended, program 2 would start and then 3. That's why it ran 3 times. I set to OFF the PROGRAMS 2 and 3 and sure enough it only run a total of 15 minutes (5 minutes per zone).

It is running fine now as I wanted it. Thanks for all the replies and to BRD for hitting the nail in the head.

Cool Beans. Thanks for the report.

Enjoy.

Recon0321

Reaction score
Cool Beans. Thanks for the report.

Enjoy.

This seems to be explained in a confusing manner. The station start times have to be set according to your desired start times for each station to run. It seems the simple answer to aguamans question would be to ensure that you only have one program running (A or b or c).

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
This seems to be explained in a confusing manner. The station start times have to be set according to your desired start times for each station to run. It seems the simple answer to aguamans question would be to ensure that you only have one program running (A or b or c).
THERE ARE NO STATION START TIMES!! THERE ARE ONLY PROGRAM START TIMES!!

Repeat this until you are certain you will never spread misinformation about this aspect of lawn sprinkler controller programming.

DonL

Reaction score

Sorry to have disappointed you with my post.

I think the problem has been solved.

I Love when that happens, thanks to www.terrylove.com.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Good stuff.

For the future, when you do have your vegetable garden planted, you will want to water it less often - maybe only once or twice a week. That is where you can set up your system so that Zone 4 (veg garden) runs for, say, 30 minutes every Sunday, and program this in Program B (assuming the rest of the lawn is watered in Program A). That's the beauty of having multiple programs -- you can run a zone, or several zones, on a different schedule from the rest. You may already know this.

Leonard Sorin

Reaction score
Hello,
I buy online a ESP-4ME/ 230V / WiFi + LNK controller a few days ago, and it’s works OK a few hours until I put in the right position in the garden. The router signal was too weak, no connection, so I pushed the LNK button for 1 sec to generate a AP to work only with iPhone7. The LED light begins with red and green, and after that only red flashing. I pushed again the button, but no hot spot begin, and the LED light also red flashing. I pushed and holded 5 sec for restore factory settings, and after that, red and amber light flashing continuously again, no effect if I pressed again for AP start. I stoped the power supply from a few minutes to many hours, but no effect. I reset also the ESP-4ME controller but no effect. I mention that ESP-4ME controller works good, only LNK module has a problem. Any help with this is, greatly appreciated, without sending for warranty in US for beginning. Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks