Crimp off soft copper

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
I have hydronic heat. There is a loop of 1/2" od soft copper embedded in the mud of the bathroom floor. I'm going to rip out the mud (it's cracked) and install a new subfloor.

I do not want to drain the entire system. However I have released the water pressure
in the boiler.

I would like to crimp the tubing, cut it off and sweat on a fitting to permanately seal the
tubing.

Do you think a large C-Clamp would be sufficient? Any other ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

I was going to say that if you turned off the pressure, all you had to do was drain the water below the level of the tubing. Does your description mean that the "crimp off" is still on the copper behind the cap?

DougB

Reaction score
The problem is that I have hydronic heat in the ceilings of my home - there are 1000's of feet of 1/2" od soft copper embedded in the plaster ceilings. It's a real pain to get the air out, so I didn't want to drain the circuit.

So, in the lower level ceiling, I used a C-clamp and vise grip to close off the 'loop' in the bathroom floor. I cut the copper about 6" before the crimp. The crimp was effective - just a dribble or two of water. That's when I decided to flare the tubing and capped one end of a flare-to-pipe union for a stopper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks