Crimp off soft copper

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DougB, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DougB

DougB Member

I have hydronic heat. There is a loop of 1/2" od soft copper embedded in the mud of the bathroom floor. I'm going to rip out the mud (it's cracked) and install a new subfloor.

I do not want to drain the entire system. However I have released the water pressure
    in the boiler.

I would like to crimp the tubing, cut it off and sweat on a fitting to permanately seal the
    tubing.

Do you think a large C-Clamp would be sufficient? Any other ideas?
  2. DougB

DougB Member

Well a C-Clamp and vise grips were enough to stop it down to a drip - but not enough to solder. Had enough room for a flare block - so I flared it and that worked!
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Cool beans. I had thought about suggesting that, but was unsure about burying a threaded fitting,
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

copper

I was going to say that if you turned off the pressure, all you had to do was drain the water below the level of the tubing. Does your description mean that the "crimp off" is still on the copper behind the cap?
  5. DougB

DougB Member

The problem is that I have hydronic heat in the ceilings of my home - there are 1000's of feet of 1/2" od soft copper embedded in the plaster ceilings. It's a real pain to get the air out, so I didn't want to drain the circuit.

So, in the lower level ceiling, I used a C-clamp and vise grip to close off the 'loop' in the bathroom floor. I cut the copper about 6" before the crimp. The crimp was effective - just a dribble or two of water. That's when I decided to flare the tubing and capped one end of a flare-to-pipe union for a stopper.