Main stack pipe leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Annie62

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct name for this pipe, but it is a big, black plastic pipe that ends up in the basement and goes under the concrete. There is a round disc on the side of the pipe and it is tight so I pretty sure the water is not coming from there. It is not a lot of water - more a weep but enough to make the carpet around it in our finished basement wet - i wonder if it is the connection that is not good. We did have a problem earlier this fall where the basement was wet coming in from the exterior wall. The carry-away pipe on the outside drain pipe had come off and we had had a lot of rain. I don't think this the same issue. Any help would be appreciated ....cash is tight.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That should be a cleanout, and if the plug is tight it should not be the source of the leak, UNLESS it is so tight that the opening around it has a crack in it. Otherwise, that type of pipe system should not have any leak in it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have a sewer or drain problem that "cover/plug" is removed by the plumber and he uses the opening to "clean out" the stoppage using his equipment.

Annie62

Reaction score
I have noticed that my dishwasher bubbles through the sink when draining - could this be a symptom too?

Hammerlane

Reaction score
There is a round disc on the side of the pipe and it is tight so I pretty sure the water is not coming from there. .

Besides the color difference is this what your stack looks like?

Attachments

• 100_7195.jpg
    100_7195.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,214

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
From your description, it does appear that this is you main drain stack and the "disc" is the cover for the clean-out. If the pipe is plastic, it is ABS which is made from different chemicals than PVC, but is commonly used for drains. As noted, the cover screws into the tee, and it could be loose. It is also possible that the tee has a small crack. I would suggest you monitor this closely and try to determine where the water is coming from. If it is a cracked fitting or while unlikely, a bad joint, it would be a job for a plumber. There is no dependable patch than can be applied to PVC or ABS, it requires replacement. Not a real difficult job for a plumber, but for a novice DIY, you could find yourself in trouble and have to hire a plumber anyway. I realize cash is a problem, but sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to get a professional in the beginning. Look especially carefully around joints where the pipes are connected either to another pipe or to the tee fitting with the plug. If it is leaking around the plug you might try tightening it, but don't overdo the force. The bubbling at the DW could be the signal that the drain needs to be cleared and that requires a plumber too. Don't just pour liquid drain cleaner into it. They don't work or real clogs.

Annie62

Reaction score
The water is coming from the upper join in the outer casing just above the disk. You ca see the red paper arrow pointing at the water. Hope this helps. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,050

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
If the water isn't running down the pipe and just ending up on that joint, it means that your pipe is probably clogged and they also didn't do a good job gluing that joint. If this is the case, that whole pipe could be filled with water.

The cap could be removed and that line could be snaked (I would get a pro for that). However, you will need something ready to catch the water as there could be several gallons sitting in that pipe (or may not depending on the clog and how much that drain gets used). If you were going to open it and clear yourself, I would probably wait a couple days and not use anything that might drain into that stack. This should allow the water to drain unless it is 100% clogged. You would still want to be ready with something to catch the water (and may be nasty stuff with kitchen and toilet waste in there, so be prepared).

Annie62

Reaction score
Thank you. Doesn't all the waste come through this pipe? All the bathrooms are on the same side of the house so I am wondering if it is maybe hair clogging it. How much doe you think this would be? Also would a cleanout still be neccesary? Thank you everyone for your advice - it has been a real education!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks