Help solve an "argument" about a DPST thermostat for my ceiling heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blind Frog

Reaction score
My electrician buddy was admiring my new Honeywell LineVolt Pro 8000 (TL8230A1003) as we prepared to install it. This is a DPST model (two red/two black). I told him I would like to find similar models for my SPST units (One red & one black wire) for my smaller rooms. He said that since I got the thermostat at a great price, I should just do all the rooms with the same DPST model. He said I should simply pigtail both reds and both blacks (Line & Load) and then tie into the existing wiring. I told him this either could NOT be done or it would shorten the life span of the stat. He says I am an idiot. :p We have a pitcher & pizza riding on it.

Blind Frog

Reaction score
jimbo - HEY!!! At first I was worried you were saying he was right and I was wrong...then I noticed you are a PLUMBER and not an electrician, so I know you are all wet and your answer can be flushed down the drain!:rolleyes:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
Check out this image and you surmise who is incorrect :)

Attachments

• SDPSDT.PNG
    SDPSDT.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 8,881

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I do not agree with the drawing of the DPST switch above! A double pole (two paths), single throw (essentially an on/off switch) is commonly used to break BOTH leads of a 240vac device...it is essentially a two pole on/off switch. It is safer since it actually removes power entirely from the device, whereas a SPST switch on a thing like a 240vac heater does stop it from operating, but there's still voltage applied to the device. If it developed an internal short, or you touched something in it and were connected to ground, you could fry yourself. SPDT and DPST are reversed in the drawing.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
I do not agree with the drawing of the DPST switch above! A double pole (two paths), single throw (essentially an on/off switch) is commonly used to break BOTH leads of a 240vac device...it is essentially a two pole on/off switch. It is safer since it actually removes power entirely from the device, whereas a SPST switch on a thing like a 240vac heater does stop it from operating, but there's still voltage applied to the device. If it developed an internal short, or you touched something in it and were connected to ground, you could fry yourself. SPDT and DPST are reversed in the drawing.

Yep. These look better. Copied that image from google...

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/switch.htm

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
jimbo - HEY!!! At first I was worried you were saying he was right and I was wrong...then I noticed you are a PLUMBER and not an electrician, so I know you are all wet and your answer can be flushed down the drain!:rolleyes:

I was a Master Chief Electronic Technician in the Navy, couple that with on a submarine everyone learns about everything, I feel eminently qualified to comment on switches!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks