Do you think a 3-1/2" vent stack is moronic? I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkeyeerik

Reaction score
My vent stack roof boot is leaking. I'm guessing it has something to do with a 3" boot over a 3-1/2" vent stack.

0727091934a.jpg

Is my roofer a moron or the plumber? I'm guessing the latter since boots come in 3" and in 4" and nothing in 3-1/2" that 10 mins of Google can find... I wonder what you think.

I'm thinking I need to cut it off in the attic and make it 3". 4" if the city says so. Not a big deal... I just hate fixing other peoples' stupidity, and I think there was some involved.

Also: separate rant. Anders Lign compression fittings (the ones with the integrated sleeve in the compression nut) are crap, and it's all the home stores sell now. 4 for 4, two different boxes of type-L 3/8" soft copper tube, all leaked. Going back to John Guest fittings

Thanks for letting me vent

Ha ha, get it?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
My vent stack roof boot is leaking. I'm guessing it has something to do with a 3" boot over a 3-1/2" vent stack.

Is my roofer a moron or the plumber? I'm guessing the latter since boots come in 3" and in 4" and nothing in 3-1/2" that 10 mins of Google can find... I wonder what you think.

I'm thinking I need to cut it off in the attic and make it 3". 4" if the city says so. Not a big deal... I just hate fixing other peoples' stupidity, and I think there was some involved.

Also: separate rant. Anders Lign compression fittings (the ones with the integrated sleeve in the compression nut) are crap, and it's all the home stores sell now. 4 for 4, two different boxes of type-L 3/8" soft copper tube, all leaked. Going back to John Guest fittings

Thanks for letting me vent

Ha ha, get it?

So the inside diameter of that stack is 3 ½"? The O.D. of standard 3" PVC Schedule 40 PVC pipe is 3 ½" but the inside is 3". So apparently its the wrong roof flashing.

Hawkeyeerik

Reaction score
Amazing

SewerRatz, you are the reason I posted this. Sometimes you just need slapped by a stranger. It IS a 3" pipe.

I still think a 3-1/2" vent stack would be moronic. Thinking 3-1/2" OD = 3-1/2" Sch 40 is more moronic. Thank you sir. Maybe the sewer gas made me delusional.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
SewerRatz, you are the reason I posted this. Sometimes you just need slapped by a stranger. It IS a 3" pipe.

I still think a 3-1/2" vent stack would be moronic. Thinking 3-1/2" OD = 3-1/2" Sch 40 is more moronic. Thank you sir. Maybe the sewer gas made me delusional.

*chuckles* It is a common mistake lots of people make.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What it is is whoever installed the flange didn't realize that they are supposed to be tight, real tight and it takes a bit of push to get the pipe through so they slit it instead. Find the slitter and place the blame. Oh, yes you have to replace it now, it will leak forever.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The "moronic" thing about a 3 1/2" vent would be the time and expense of trying to find ANY pipe or fittings in that size. You have a 3" vent pipe with a flashing that was installed by a moron. Unless the sleeve fits tightly around the pipe there is absolutely NO WAY it is not going to leak, unless you live in the middle of the Sahara Desert where it seldom, if ever, rains. The plumber may have furnished the flashing, but the roofer installed it while shingling. If he snipped it to install it, he was a moron, and if it was already cut and he installed it anyway, he was still a moron.

TedL

Reaction score
Note that if you carefully remove the "rubber" from a new, similar flashing, slide it down onto the pipe and adhere it to the cut rubber with, say, silicone, it will be raintight until you get around to replacing the full flashing, without any rush. It could last for years.

Hawkeyeerik

Reaction score
Thank you all

Thank you all for your input and commentary. This is how it is going to look until the fall.

0728091901a.jpg

Questionable aesthetics,... yes. Patience to care,... depleted. House feels like it's falling apart faster than I can put it back together these days :D

Hawkeyeerik

Reaction score
rain collar

Thanks, our home stores don't carry them and I can't make it to the plumbers' supply during the day, so at first I made them myself.
0727091932a.jpg

But, I was a moron and made them with 4" boots when I needed 3" so I whipped them in the trash furiously. When I bought the 3" boots I was lazy and just slipped the whole flashing right over.

Getting a new roof in the fall... it was hard to care at that point :rolleyes:

Hawkeyeerik

Reaction score
oh

Oh, you meant as a permanent replacement. I just figured all new flashings with the new roof so I was just trying to stop the leak for now. I saw the Oatey rings online but thought they were meant to slip over and act as a rain collar, not as a permanent repair. Thanks for the tip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks