Avg

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Had a pop up in the right corner of screen for the last 24 hrs wanting to scan
my computer for viruses,I did not open it as had this happen before.
As in anti virus 2009.AVG killed it and with no sweat off my brow.
Good stuff and free to boot.Thanks to whoever suggested AVG.:D

Speedbump

Reaction score
I used AVG for several years, then recently my buddy next door at the computer store told me about Avast and said that I should switch, so I did. All 5 computers now run Avast. Actually both of them AVG and Avast have saved me a lot of grief more than once.

bob...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I used AVG for many years now...
Free and effective you can't beat it!

Why is it that a free antivirus updates more often and faster than Norton?
Go figure...

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I wondered the same thing with Avast. At times Avasts updates 3 to 5 times a day. I also noticed there is a lot of free ware out there that works as good if not better than the stuff you pay for. For example OpenOffice.org Does everything Microsoft office does but its free and its open source. http://www.openoffice.org

mcrandi

Reaction score
avg is very good, actually it is the fourth best anti virus in the world, its more reliable as it never details any files without the user's intention

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I've used AVG for years and have installed it on countless computers. It's been absolutely great. I remember when Avast and others came along and at first did not compete well. For example, all the help forums were in Germany . . .

I'm sure they've improved.

I've also used Zone Alarm as the firewall for a long time. There have been issues over the years, but it's usually quite good, if a bit confusing for new users.

But I post on these forums on a Linux computer and have neither firewall nor antivirus on it. Just don't need 'em.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I've used AVG for years and have installed it on countless computers. It's been absolutely great. I remember when Avast and others came along and at first did not compete well. For example, all the help forums were in Germany . . .

I'm sure they've improved.

I've also used Zone Alarm as the firewall for a long time. There have been issues over the years, but it's usually quite good, if a bit confusing for new users.

But I post on these forums on a Linux computer and have neither firewall nor antivirus on it. Just don't need 'em.

Hurk, people hack Linux machines all the time. Not that I go around doing it ;). Their s virus out for Linux machines as well. 99% of Linux/Unix servers run a fire wall called Apache to keep the undesirables out. If firewalls are not needed then someone should inform them guys to save their money.

The way I connect to the internet is I network my windows machines through an old 386 linux box running Apache.

georgeBo

Reaction score
Website
www.uk-plumber.co.uk
<< another user of AVG great antivirus mainly use it because its free and the only one ive tryed no problems care free does everything for you doesnt slow down your computer at all served me well

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I've run both at home. My computer is/was (currently down) 64b windows and at the time AVG didn't support it but Avast did. Wife's runs AVG.

We also run AVG on all our rigs at work.

I absolutely hate Norton, my brother runs the whole Norton Suite and always asks me why his computer is bogging down and or running like crap in general. He beefed up his computer way more than I did so his boys could run games without hiccups or glitches.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing with Avast. At times Avasts updates 3 to 5 times a day. I also noticed there is a lot of free ware out there that works as good if not better than the stuff you pay for. For example OpenOffice.org Does everything Microsoft office does but its free and its open source. http://www.openoffice.org

Gimp is pretty cool too for photos and such. http://www.gimp.org/

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
AVG has a very good rep. The radio gurus out here seem to like NOD32 from ESET.

I have been using Kaspersky for a couple of years, and like it. But after a recent miserable experience trying to install a new HP printer, I am wondering if the issues were VISTA or the russky!

It took me 3 bleeping hours on the phone with India Boy to get the printer working. I had kaspersky temporarily turned off, so I am assuming it was just VISTA being tempermantal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks