Which Brand of Frost Free Sillcock is Reliable & Repairable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gundraw

Reaction score
House has a frost free sillcock that is leaky. Quite a bit of corrosion as I believe it is original with the house (70's construction).

I am a little unsure of the quality on some of the new stuff. I would rather buy a nicer model if it will last like this original one did, and, if I have a chance of finding new washers and packing when it does start leaking down the road.

Suggestions on brand model? This will be a 1/2" copper sweat.

Side question: I see a lot of these sillcocks that are not anti-siphon, as is the old one I am removing. I was under the impression that anti-siphon was the responsible choice for anything that could have a hose hooked up. True?

Thanks

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

Woodford​

Item #: 25P-10

Woodford Model 25 Outdoor Faucet​

The Woodford Freezeless Model 25 drains as handle is shut off even if hose is attached. This faucet is designed for outside residential water service applications and intended for irrigation purposes. Includes a 34 series vacuum breaker.
FEATURES:
Exterior finish - Brass
Valve- Molded nitrile suitable for hot water.
Nozzle - 3/4” male hose thread.
No Lead Solder - All solder joints.
Plunger - Hemispherical cushion type.
Stem Screw - Delrin® Head Nut - Brass
Handle- Metal. (Optional Tee Key) Inlets - As shown.
Max. Pressure - 125 p.s.i.
Max. Temperature - 120° F
Upgrade to the Model 30
Repair Kits RK-25 - RK-27 Includes Vacuum Breaker

Gundraw

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

I had not looked at the quarter ball. Interesting and reasonably priced.

What is the deal with lead-free vs non lead-free sillcocks. I notice some of the big names are not even lead-free rated. Why?

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a couple reasons. Residential outdoor faucets (sillcocks) are designed for basic home irrigation, lawn watering, car washing etc. They are not intended to be used as a source for potable water.
Lead-free brass is extremely hard and difficult to machine vs. standard brass. That is one of the reasons why lead-free plumbing products are significantly more costly than standard brass.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If connected to your potable water system my entire state requires anti siphon device and it be lead free. I think this is pretty much all over our country, So unless you have a backflow device the hose bib should be both anti siphon and lead free. A lot of these codes are ignored but you asked for the responsible choice .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks