Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

Users who are viewing this thread

tinacarlylethegreat

Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased the Glacier Bay toilet at home depot. It goes by several different names. Sedona or Taza Sahara. The bowl # is 191-856. I like it because it has a round front and only extends 25 3/8 inches into the room. I have a small bathroom and the sink is directly in front of the toilet. It is only $40.00 and I am worried maybe it doesn't work well. I can't find any info on it on the internet. Other models yes, but not this one. If anyone has had experience with it I would appreciate an evaluation.
Tina

Consumer Report on Toilets

glacierbay_n2225_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Tank and bowl are only $40.00?????

I wouldn't touch anything with a price like that. They were probably practice toilets from some 3rd world country.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As a practical matter, a toilet for $40 is a guaranteed loser. First, it is going to be a very poor flusher. Glacier Bay ranks near or at the bottom on the MAP reports. Even worse, the quality of the porcelain glaze and the internal parts...flappers,etc. are rock bottom.

Now, is it actually labeled Glacier Bay? Those model names you mentioned sound like the toilets which HD imports from Mexico..they are even worse!

For a toilet with some quality, and a price which won't break your bank, I believe the Toto Drake, the AmStd Cadet 3, and the Niagara are worth a look. You will hear varying other opinions positive and negative about these recommendations; I don't think you will hear any recommendation for a good toilet which can be had under about $150 total.(+ labor)

follow up: it is a Glacier Bay label, manufactured by Foremost International, probably China. Their part number is LL-8200-W if you want to talk to them about it:http://www.fitnjo.com/AboutUs.html

JLindbert

Reaction score
Glacier Bay toilets

Hello and I recently purchased one with an 8 rating. Started to buy an American Standard...good products most of the time but sales guy at Home Depot told me that the Glacier Bay had an 8 rating and American Standard had a 5. I'll be very honest with you...I never had a toilet that worked so fine. I tried everything to stop this puppy up and it won't stop up. I wasn't familiar with the Glacier Bay till I got this one...and the neat thing is, it only uses 1.2 gallons of water. You won't find a better toilet for the money that the Glacier Bay.

Not sure the model number but the one I bought is an elongated lip...not rounded. ...didn't see any $40.00 ones but like others said...stay away from something that cheap.

Jan Lindbert

Sevierville, TN

Attachments

• glacier bay toilet.jpg
    glacier bay toilet.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 59,037

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Glacier Bay is a Home Depot brand, so without a part number, it is just another generic container load that comes in with the house brand on the box.

A lot would depend on which overseas company they are buying from at the moment.

I hold the handle down for 2 seconds and everything disappears in a strong whoosh of water.

It kind of defeats the 1.28 gallon aspect of it. Holding the handle down uses about 3 gallons.
With three gallons, you can pretty much wash a racoon out of a tree.

Everything you ever wanted to know about toilets

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hello and I recently purchased one with an 8 rating. Started to buy an American Standard...good products most of the time but sales guy at Home Depot told me that the Glacier Bay had an 8 rating and American Standard had a 5. I'll be very honest with you...I never had a toilet that worked so fine. I tried everything to stop this puppy up and it won't stop up. I wasn't familiar with the Glacier Bay till I got this one...and the neat thing is, it only uses 1.2 gallons of water. You won't find a better toilet for the money that the Glacier Bay.

Not sure the model number but the one I bought is an elongated lip...not rounded. Cost from Home Depot was $128.00 plus tax...didn't see any $40.00 ones but like others said...stay away from something that cheap.

Jan Lindbert

Sevierville, TN

Sounds like Home Depot had nothing to sell except junk toilets...

Marty53

Reaction score

I've actually had decent luck with a one-piece glacier bay I bought at Home Depot for $69 on special about 6 months ago. I put it in the guest bath, and have two toto drakes for my other toilets, so I do know what a great toilet is. The Drake is an amazing piece of plumbing, without a doubt. Occasionally the glacier bay needs two flushes, but in a situation where its not a major use toilet (most of its use if for #1's), I think they are fine.

Marty53

Reaction score

I think what I'm saying is that they are fine for use in a situation where they are not primary use toilets.. The price makes them almost disposable. I know you plumbers hate to hear it though... I'm on a tight budget.

brina916

Reaction score
I bought 2 of these

They both leak from the tank! what are the odds? what a pile of crap

Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot

bridestine

Reaction score
bridestine

I bought the Glacier Bay toilet. I went with the express purpose of buying an Eljer, 1.4 Gal Toilet. It flushes like those professional models at Airport Terminals. Very hard flush, and in six years, it has never failed. Also cost half as much as the GB, from Lowes. The salesman at Home Depot said the Eljer was no longer as good as my old one, and this GB was the best rated flusher he had. From my experience, it is LOUSY. I keep a gallon bucket filled with water for flushing. It won't even take a sheet of toilet paper. If flushed properly, it would use less water than my Eljer, but it requires a minimum of one flush plus one gallon bucket to get anything down. Don't let the salesman talk you into that thing. IT IS JUNK!!!

debscott55

Reaction score
Boo to Glacier Bay

I paid about $60 for my low-flow Glacier Bay toilet. From day one, I have had to flush it 4 or 5 times just to flush about 2 sheets of toilet paper. Not really saving much water that way, am I? I rue the day I ever bought this toilet and darn sure won't do it again. I agree that you get what you pay for. Go with a toilet that's higher priced and with a company that has a good reputation. :mad:

Debra

glacierbay_n2225_6.jpg

fifthmoon

Reaction score
Glacier Bay

We hate glacier bay it's a terrible toilet. Half the time it doesn't flush right. We paid alot more then 50.00 for it. We are now looking for a better toilet and think we will get a top flush with dual flush.

glacierbay_n2225_1.jpg

Mike in California

Reaction score
Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf round bowl toilet

I purchased a Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf round bowl toilet at Home Depot. It has the flapperless design, which is essentially a trough or rectangular bucket that tilts when you flush it. Anyway, it has been working great. I had already checked various reviews online for toilets before I decided on this one. At $88, it is a great price. I knew going into this some people said the seat is flimsy, and it is, but at that price, I threw away the factory seat and installed a sturdier seat. Not a problem.

I did have to make a very minor, simple adjustment to ensure the tank was filling to the 1.28 gallon level in the bucket, however, you may not need to make any adjustment if it fills to the marked line. If you do need to fine-tune the water level, then very gently bend the copper tubing that holds the filler spigot that empties into the bucket. Doing so will bring the level of the float valve slightly upward and so likewise affects the level of the water in the bucket. Not a big deal to adjust, the tube probably moved slightly during shipment.

By the way, this flapperless design has a 10 rating for flushing material, which is the best rating. It was done in independent testing, so it isn't some inflated rating from the manufacturer. This toilet works very well, much better than the 47-year-old 3.5 gpf toilet we had in place before. I looked at Kohler, American Standard and others and decided on this one. Oh, by the way, the Glacier Bay brand which is exclusive to Home Depot is also known as Niagara or Niagara Flapperless. In the U.S., the site is http://www.niagaracorp.com/; in Canada it is niagraflapperless.ca

niagara_inside_tank.jpg

Mike in California

Reaction score
PS regarding Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf toilet filler valve

A correction on adjusting the water level in the bucket: although I adjusted the float level by very gently and very slightly tweaking the copper pipe that feeds the water in the tank, the proper way to adjust the float valve is to turn the black plastic screw that is on the valve's arm. Turn the screw to the right to lower the water level in the bucket or to the left to raise the level. So do adjust the screw, don't bend the copper tube. The instruction manual was not in the box (someone had previously opened it at Home Depot) so I didn't have it for reference. But I have just downloaded a PDF of the manual and found the correct way to adjust the valve on the Fluidmaster 703A5B fill valve.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mike that is the Niagra Flapperless toilet sold under the Glacier Bay label...
Not the best flusher but okay...
Parts though terrify me....
If Niagra doesn't cut it....
The parts will disappear as well...

glacierbay_n2225_6.jpg

breid1903

Reaction score
debscott66

do you have receipt. ask what happens when you lose receipt. my guess is store credit. call them ask what policy is on stools. if you can return it. yank it out. everybody laughs but i was in blowes in kokomo, in, in august. i come in the door and there's a woman with a 4' dead christmas tree. i thought ok, i got to see this. the clerk asked what was wrong with the tree. lady says it died. i burst out laughing. everybody else was in the twilight zone. the tree still had christmas stuff on it. the cut on the stump was older than me. they will take just about anything back. also please don't pay any mind to the store recommendations. if they knew anything, why would they be there? lol. breid

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks