Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

Users who are viewing this thread

JLindbert

Reaction score
Glacier Bay is a Home Depot brand, so without a part number, it is just another generic container load that comes in with the house brand on the box.

A lot would depend on which overseas company they are buying from at the moment.

It kind of defeats the 1.28 gallon aspect of it. Holding the handle down uses about 3 gallons.
With three gallons, you can pretty much wash a racoon out of a tree.

Everything you ever wanted to know about toilets

Sorry guys...you got it all wrong..the tank won't even hold 3 gallons of water let alone the water that enters while in operation. OK...don't take my word on this one...but I bought one, it has an 8 rating and still works like a charm.I'm 100% happy with my purchase and I'm not a sales person at Home Depot...I took out a worthless Kohler because it took 3 or 4 flushes to work...Now I'm smiling.

JLindbert

Reaction score
I bought the $128 Glacier Bay toilet. I went with the express purpose of buying an Eljer, 1.4 Gal Toilet. It flushes like those professional models at Airport Terminals. Very hard flush, and in six years, it has never failed. Also cost half as much as the GB, from Lowes. The salesman at Home Depot said the Eljer was no longer as good as my old one, and this GB was the best rated flusher he had. From my experience, it is LOUSY. I keep a gallon bucket filled with water for flushing. It won't even take a sheet of toilet paper. If flushed properly, it would use less water than my Eljer, but it requires a minimum of one flush plus one gallon bucket to get anything down. Don't let the salesman talk you into that thing. IT IS JUNK!!!

Think this guy must work for big name MFG or didn't know how to install it...Mine works fine...and excuse me, I haven't seen any of those big named puppies any more reasonalble...this $128.00 was complete...nuts, bolts, wax ring, seat...oops...didn't provide toilet paper, almost complete.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mike from Cascade Water has reported that the two worst toilets, at least the two he gets the most complaints about, are the Glacier Bay toilet and the Dual Flush Gerber toilet.

Homeowners have been reporting that many cases of multiple flushing with the Glacier Bay.
There are no parts for them. That's the other big complaint.
When they ask for parts, they just get a blank stare from the "Isle helpers" at Home Depot.
The solution if anything breaks, is to buy a new toilet.
Which may or may not work very well.
You may get a good or a bad one, depending on the individual construction of that piece of pottery.
JLindbert has reported getting a good one, which is similar to other reports we have been getting.
Depending on how well it was made that day, you may get one that works, or one that has problems.
But so far, many more complaints then from other toilets.

The biggest complaints are on the Gerber dual flush though.
There is no way to repair those.
They typically last about six months.

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
While your at it buy a plunger at the same time. you will need it.

John

JLindbert

Reaction score
I must have gotten the only good one that they made...Mine still works like a charm. Fact...if I had the one that this guy has and it didn't work, I'm smart enough to take it back to Home Depot and not keep that bucket of water beside toilet to flush away the big one...it seems very evident that this guy is very full of S__t and life experiences with these kind...you simply can't flush them away. There are idiots everywhere and having 26 year career as a building, plumbing and mechanical inspector, I've seen all kinds...TAKE IT BACK TO HOME DEPOT...they'll even take it back if it's full of S__t...as well as Lowes.

JLindbert

Reaction score
Ps

And by the way, I don't work for Home Depot, or MFG of the Glacier Bay toilet...but trust me, if I did, I'd sell the heck out of these. I could sell anything that I believed in and I believe in this product. I read this guy's post several times and laughed every time...thinking to myself..what an idiot, and if he had one that didn't work, why keep it...and pour that water in it...it's funny, picturing this guy taking his dump, flushing, then pouring his bucket of water in to complete his mission...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The thing is, next month, a toilet with the same name might show up from a different manufactuer that is a total dog...if yours has any non-standard parts (flapper or fill valve), you may never get parts to fix them when their rubber parts wear out in a few years. Break the flush lever, buy a generic replacement and hope it fits. Your lottery ticket may win, but the odds are against you. HD does not carry parts for their in-house toilets most have found.

JLindbert

Reaction score
Glacier Bay Update...to all you tearful eyed guys out there...

Still working fine here in the Lindbert household...and no, you don't use 3 gallons when you hold down for 2 seconds...it just lets the tank empty completely by doing so. Nope, I don't work for the supply house who sells them...and sorry the competition doesn't like good reviews being posted for a product that works well. Guess this blog made me realize that competitors send out thugs to slam good products in hopes that they might steal a dab of the pie...I'm sorry guys, mine works just fine...oops, but I didn't get the $40.00 dollar one, nor did I get the $60.00 one that some wrote about. I paid I think $128.00 complete for mine...and it works like a charm. I really hate it for that dude that has to keep the plunger beside his, or they guy who keeps that bucket of water beside his...pitiful guys...tears running down my cheeks just thinking about how pitiful life is for you. 26 years as a building, plumbing and mechanical inspector and I've yet to see one that worked as well as this Glacier Bay toilet.

Reaction score
Still working fine here in the Lindbert household...and no, you don't use 3 gallons when you hold down for 2 seconds...it just lets the tank empty completely by doing so.

Have you measured it? If you haven't actually used a water meter to measure your 2 second hold a few times, then you have no idea how much water it actually uses.

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
Three gallons

Yep, it's three gallons when you hold that little thingy down, and drain all the water out of yur tank.

What part of it dont you git?

A flapper that flips up and drops down, that's less then two gallon.
Mabe one gallon, and a half gallon.

But when you hold that baby up, and keep it up, then the hole thing drops all the water. count it everybody. one gallon, two gallon, three gallon.
Dude it's three gallons.
Wait, keep a nuther bucket there, and you can keep puruing water down.
Why stop at three?

cnaran36

Reaction score
MIKE IN CALIFORNIA, I have 2 Glacier Bay Flapperless system toilets 1.28 GPF from Home Depot and paid $88 as well. THEY ARE EXCELLENT, only issue i have had is a broken flush knob and the seat screws need to be tighten well or will come loose, can not ask more out of an $88 toilet. I also own 2 Toto's which r the Lamborghini of toilets but paid $350.00 for each. Can anyone assist me in locating a new G B flush knob please thank you. Claudio

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can anyone assist me in locating a new G B flush knob

Doesn't Home Depot carry parts on the shelf for their toilets?

Oh, that's right, they don't.
And that's why plumbers won't be installing a toilet that nobody carries parts for.

glacierbay_n2225_6.jpg

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score

And that's why plumbers won't be installing a toilet that nobody carries parts for.

I think there next to there temporary toilets.

John

JLindbert

Reaction score
Actually, I applied common sense, the tank empties in less than three seconds and there is no way that another 1.7 gallons of water can enter and escape. No, trust me, its accurate despite what others would like to think.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tank holds about three gallons.

So if you have to hold the handle down for a complete flush, you are using three gallons.
What a waste.

gvilkas

Reaction score
Foremost Sedona toilet and tank MAP rating is 300 grams

Hi. I called the manufacturer's customer help line printed on the side of the box, gave them the Foremost Sedona toilet tank Model number T1-001WL and the kind gentleman advised me that the MAP rating is 300 grams.

He said it does not really matter much what the bowl number is but I gave it to him anyhow and he said the answer was still the same (Bowl # LL-004RW from the side of the box) MAP tested for 300 grams.

I was pleasantly surprised how helpful the Foremost company was. I give them a 9 out of 10 for telephone manner. As a comparision I recently called American Standard for help on a separate issue and the lady answering the phone was curt and did not take my question seriously. I give American Standard a 3 out of 10 for how they handled my call that day.

Hope this helps.

SeattlePlumber

Service plumber.
Reaction score
Installed one the other day...

Customer purchased their own GB toilet at HD, then hired a plumber (me) to install it. He's obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. Anyway, here was my impression:

It worked better than I expected, but I was expecting it to not work at all. Still had to fiddle with it a lot to make it not leak (both onto the floor and into the bowl). The flush was semi-weak. I would not recommend this toilet to my mother in law. The parts looked cheap (not just plastic but thin plastic) and are probably not readily available. Very shoddy tank to bowl gasket as well (seemed to have no density to it and it kept falling off). And what was with the wingnuts for the tank bolts? All in all, this toilet was a piece of crap (pun intended).

Keep in mind, by not hiring a plumber and purchasing it through a plumbing company, you basically have no warranty (unless you call un-installing it and hauling it down to HD a "warranty"). If you want to buy and install this toilet, go right ahead. It doesn't bother me at all. You'll be calling me within a year wondering why it doesn't work and why there aren't any parts for it. After your wife scolds you for being so cheap (and stupid), I'll gladly sell you the Toto you should have bought in the first place. I'll also take immense pleasure chucking that GB out of my truck and into the dumpster. Betcha it breaks in midair (you think I'm kidding).

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend American Standard toilets either. They haven't made a good toilet since... well, since ever. They try and try, but they keep screwing it up. They get an 'A' for effort though. Maybe the Champion 28 will be the one. Who knows? For now, Toto is the best. Kohler is a distant second, and only a few models at that.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As a side note, I wouldn't recommend American Standard toilets either. They haven't made a good toilet since... well, since ever. They try and try, but they keep screwing it up. They get an 'A' for effort though. Maybe the Champion 28 will be the one. Who knows?

LOL... I'm wondering how many times they will put lipstick on that pig before people stop kissing it...
They lost me on the first one....

dancolostate

Reaction score
How does the flush tray come out!!!

Seriously. I can't figure out how to get the water tray piece our of this P.O.S. I feel like I am going to snap the handle or break the tray.

This leaks onto the floor from the wingnut screws where the tank connects to the throne. Tried tightening from underneath, tried a long screwdriver, but can't get around this POS flush mechanism.

How do you take this plastic flush reservoir out without breaking the toilet?

I am tempted to break this piece of sh!t so that I can just by a new toilet.

reply to this thread or please hit me up at tafari AT ymail DOT com

Chinook

Reaction score

When I installed a customer supplied champion , ( purchased at home depot ) Guess who didn't carry the tower seal when it started to leak? Thats right Home Depot!

When the seat broke on My american standard williamsburg ( a Home Depot only product ) who didnt have the toilet seat for it? Thats right Home depot, of course american standard does to the tune of $200 plus shipping!:mad: Now Ill be buying Toto only from now on and I will only recommend Toto to My friends and customers.

Stay away from the home depot store brands at least when it comes to plumbing!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks