water level in toilet bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

dneese@satx.rr.com

Reaction score
I just had two Drake Toto toilets installed this afternoon with a whole house remodeling project. One toilet operates as you think it would. The other toilet located on the other side of the house, the flush fills the bowl to the correct level as it's supposed to do and shuts off. About 20 minutes later the water level in the bowl has slowly subsided to bare mostly porcelain. Some time you would expect the toilet to refill itself as low as the water gets but it never does. What's the deal? Is this something that can be corrected?
DaleTex

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems like there's a slight vacuum, indicating a vent problem.

dneese@satx.rr.com

Reaction score
Would that problem indicate a stopped up vent stack to the roof or an air leak of some type at a lower level in the pipe?
DaleTex

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is that toilet somewhere you can look underneath? The bowl won't refill itself, while if the tank is leaking, it should. The bowl could either have a crack, or hole that is allowing it to leak out (hopefully down the drain), or possibly into the floor; or, something is causing the water to be sucked out which could be a vent problem.

dneese@satx.rr.com

Reaction score
Aye, I just caught a whiff of an odor, and I just thought, we don't have the vanity sinks and traps installed in the bathrooms as of yet. I suppose once they are installed this may cure the problem. Duh.
DaleTex

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You really want to cap those...the fumes are not healthy. You can buy snap in caps, rubber caps that go over the ends, or just take some plastic and tape.

dneese@satx.rr.com

Reaction score
That was my very next thing to do. Old reliable duct tape wrapped several times over the drain pipe end. Sinks should be in on Wednesday with the countertops.
Thanks for everyone's reply. Isn't it great we have the internet and all the excellent help out there in cyberspace!
DaleTex

dneese@satx.rr.com

Reaction score
still not fixed/water in Toto toilet bowl disappears

We've had the plumber out to install the sink traps since my last message. The water in the bowl, not the tank, of the new Toto toilet slowly disappears from the proper level after 10 minutes or so. The plumber has no idea what the problem is other to say that the toilet is defective. Since the older toilet that was replaced does not have this problem I am begining to think that it is. The other new Toto in the other bath doesn't have this problem it works perfectly and we purchased them at the same time. Online of course and would hate to think that I would have to return it to get a new one. What could be drawing the water down? We are on a concrete slab with no other visible water or plumbing problems before installing this one toilet. Anyone offer help on checking the toilet. Could they have missed a small crack in the toilet when it was installed? Help!
Dale Tex

dneese@satx.rr.com

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good test to determine if I have a defective product. But I hate to swap them off the new tile flooring just installed!

The company that I purchased them from will send
someone out at their own expense,"a professional technician" to examine the product. If it is a defective product then they will replace it at their own expense. I can go for that.
Furthermore the Toto toilets are manufactured in Vietnam, am I not correct?
I guess that doesn't have much to do with it but they arrived banded securely and shrink wrapped on a pallet. I uncrated them and saw no damage or poor workmanship. Maybe the installation? I don't know but I just don't like fowling pure white porcelain.
Dale Tex

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
20% breakage on toilet shipments is not uncommon.

They are bouncing around inside a truck, being fork lifted around, things stacked on them.
I used to "ship" toilets in the old days. I hand deliver now.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a good test to determine if I have a defective product. But I hate to swap them off the new tile flooring just installed!

You don't need to swap them out.

Just pull the bad toilet and set it in the tub or on some paper towels. Fill the bowl and see if the water leaks out. If no water leaks out, then it is a vent issue. If water leaks out, you have a crack.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Furthermore the Toto toilets are manufactured in Vietnam, am I not correct?

Toto Toilets are manufactured in China, Viet Nam, & USA. It doesn't matter their quality control is excellent.

I would think that you have a cracked toilet allowing the water to leak out of the bowl.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Toto has factories all over the world...shipping porcelain stuff around is both bulky and fragile, so it is best to avoid excess shipping if you can.

dneese@satx.rr.com

Reaction score
water in the Toto bowl

Hello again.
I thought I would update you all on the slowly draining water from the toilet bowl of my new Toto toilet. First of all I thank everyone on this list for their suggestions to my problem. It gave us a starting point. I must give the store from where I purchased the twin Toto's a standing ovulation....they replaced the toilet bowl free of charge, all without hesitation not knowing that the part was defective. The plumber pulled the old bowl and we took it outside and poured water into the bowl. It leaked out slowly just as it did in the house. Defective. The new bowl installed an the water level maintains the proper level. I am one happy camper!
We are on the down hill side of a 3 month total home makeover and with fingers crossed will be able to reside together in our new home once more.
Happy New Year to all!
Dale Tex

Last edited by a moderator:

Grazzy

Reaction score
with that standing "ovulation" you might see lots more of those stores cropping up in your area. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks