You guy's do furnace,/boiler service

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Yes I do boiler service and installations low pressure steam or hot water (gas not oil) and do a yearly external inspection and yearly internal inspection on commercial boilers

Attachments

• Boilers.jpg
    Boilers.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 172

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Steam notice the brass pig tails (siphon tubes)

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 164

DIYorBust

Reaction score
These boiler installations look very professional. I have a steam boiler out here on long island. The guys did a pretty nice job setting it up. But I go to drain the boiler, and the drain valve opening is blocked by it's own valve handle. You can open the valve half way and drain it down, but it still drives me nuts.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A picture is worth more then 1,000 words

Normally on a steam boiler blow down I like to install a nipple and a gate valve and then another nipple and a ball valve and nipple sticking out of it

Reason being open the gate valve fully then open the ball valve as the water flushes out close the gate valve first then the ball valve so it wont hydro shock the boiler

If you decide to just use a ball valve open quickly and close it slowly

DIYorBust

Reaction score
More or less this is how it was done, but the gate valve is blocked from attaching a hose when the ball valve is fully open.

Attachments

• 20200419_154340.jpg
    20200419_154340.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 155

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I think it was n HB Smith 8 section

The installer had the right idea Ball valve then a slow closing valve (hose cock )

If you remove the hose cock and put in a 3/4 IPS x 3/4 Hose adapter this will make it a lot easier for the blow down BUT remember open fast close slowly

The price below seems very high for this adapter

I do not like using a globe type of valve on a boiler drain as it does not allow full flow and offers to much restriction getting the muck out

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seaf...pdBOad8Iz76o90vice2ZZseOu7H6cgMRoCc9EQAvD_BwE

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Good call, I can probably figure something out. Here's a bigger photo of the setup, it's a weil mclain sgo-6. No complaints on the performance. I did have them change the md low water cutoff to a probe type after it clogged up. Pretty happy with that so far. It has a hot water zone in the bottom

Attachments

• 20200419_192036.jpg
    20200419_192036.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 164

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Shame they installed the boiler without a house keeping pad .

Concrete base for the boiler to sit on is just common decency, also if your spending a few thousand for a boiler to be installed paying $3- $5.00 more for a brass siphon tube should not break the bank

Do you think the installer was so close to going over budget he could not have been a little professional and also used a siphon tube (pig tail) to protect the gauge from live steam causing it to fail?

Possibly because I do low pressure boiler inspections besides installations I am too critical of the installers that have to cut corners every place they think no one will notice

Check out the steam boiler we installed and then look back as the one THEY put in

In NYC to pipe in a boiler one needs to either have a master plumbers license or a class A oil burners license

I went to the Hicksville post office to inspect both of their boilers .

From what I remember it was a huge installation and I really did not look forward to driving out there to do my external inspection

I had no choice but to fail one of the 2 boilers and had to reschedule an inspection BUT I told them when I come back and the one I did pass for the external inspection now I would want to do the internal inspection and have them remove the hand hole covers

The steam boiler we installed we did the same quality of work for a one family home in the Bronx as perfection is not an accident

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
See being an "expert witness" is not just talking about showers and scalding and o poor workmanship and trips and falls

Even these hot water makers and the boiler are all on a house keeping pad as one never knows when the basement may flood

Attachments

• Waterheartrs.jpg
    Waterheartrs.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 148

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Christ the King Church flooded basement . Notice how close the waste water is to the burners

This was during the winter TWO in the morning

Why did this happen ?

Because the idiots who placed the boilers in a pit neglected to install a duplex pump NOT EVEN ONE PUMP But they did come in as the lowest bidder and that is all that counts

After this we did install a duplex sewer ejectors one had battery back up with alarms

Attachments

• CHRIST.jpg
    CHRIST.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 149

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I am a creature of Habit even when I installed fire suppression systems

Notice the pumps are on a concrete pad and the boiler is also above the finished floor and there is a sump in a corner to protect the equipment in case of a floor

Attachments

• fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 154

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Ever have a question on Gas fitting ?

Attachments

• Gasmeters.JPG
    Gasmeters.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 147

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Notice no hanging electrical wires?

Attachments

• o (16).jpg
    o (16).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 123

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks Sylvan, that's a great catch! When I had the guys redo the boiler, they replaced the pressuretrol, and put that on a syphon tube, but not the gauge! Better that they the other way around. I bet you though if I tell them, they'll fix it, and maybe I can pair that up with the drain adjustment. I'm thinking a straight through gate valve with a hose adapter might do the trick for me based on your comments. At the end of the day though, we have a contract where they will have to replace that gauge if it fails, so they may just decide to wait and see.

As for the pad, we do have a gravity floor drain close by, and the grade of the floor is appropriate for it to work. I do prefer to drain the boiler by a hose because I don't want the plumbing to receive boiler mud, but in an emergency it's there and I doubt we'd end up with a flood like your picture. However it's good to hear these comments, when it comes time to replace I'll know what to look for.

I did have a close call when the float in the mcdonell douglas failed. It failed in the low position and water filled the steam pipes while we were away. Luckily nothing leaked.

I'm generally pretty happy with the boiler company. They are properly licensed for plumbing and oil burners. I'm way out in suffolk, not near the city. The installation was done before I owned the home, but by the same company I use.

One thing I'm hoping to do is get a cold climate heat pump installed to take some of the load off the boiler, and save me a bit on fuel oil which seems more expensive than running a heatpump by my calculations.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The electricians we hire we told them "neatness counts" as I know I am only as good as my last job

If I do the right job for someone they will tell three people

Do a sloppy job , over priced they will tell everyone

When people have oil and are thinking about going to natural gas... I tell them the following which I once wrote for as local news paper pro and con Oil Verses Gas

I do not install or service oil equipment

Oil

You pay for before you use it , Oil has a heating value for #2 138,000 - 140,000 BTU per gallon

In case of a leak you are facing a hefty fine for toxic material clean up (hazmat)

Normally oil companies lose money on their service contract and a good oil company has 24 -7 service

Much more service is required on a oil burner. filters, nozzles , removing soot from the tubes , cast iron section and the fire box does not last as long because the higher heat generated

With oil you can shop around for the best price and have it locked in

Most oil companies are family owned so they give better service

Getting a delivery on a heavy snow week maybe a problem

You have storage tanks that are a liability and above ground take up space

GAS

You pay for as you use it, in case of a leak it can explode,

If you have no heat and you call your utility they will say "call a plumber" as legally they were not supposed to do service work as it is considered unfair utility competition

Also is you call for a gas leak the utility will red tag the equipment and say call a plumber, sometimes they even shut the gas supply as they do in NYC

Natural gas has a heating value of 900 - 1,200 BTU s per cubic foot so it takes a lot longer to get the heat up

Your locked in to one company supplying natural gas and if you decide to try to get another company your bill will increase as the new supplier will have to pay usage fee to the original company who owns the gas piping

Several of my accounts have duel fuel oil - gas and on really cold days they will get a fine if they use gas in case they run out of oil.

Ever wonder why Utilities such as Con Ed wanted to use coal with air scrubbers and then went to oil BUT never considered gas for "Big Allis"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks