Yikes... new floor is 2" above the closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Paperprofit

Reaction score
You guys have given me such good advice, I'm back for more. Hopefully you haven't been asked this a million times before.

I raised my existing floor (concrete slab) 2" higher to insulate it, using 2"x4" sleepers and plywood.

Problem is, the closet flange of my powderoom toilet is now 2" lower than the new floor. What's the best way to fix this?

The existing flange is black plastic (and is roughly at the level of the concrete pad). The 3" waste pipe is also black plastic (ABS, I guess).

Spacers? Cut out the old one with a dremel and cutoff wheel? (I'm not sure I have enough clearance to solvent weld a new one in with a 6" throat.) Or is it possible to weld on a new flange to the existing somehow? (I'd rather not choke down the 3" diameter drain to 2".) Something altogether different?

Any advice will be much appreciated. I have a graduation party for my daughter coming up in a month and the pressure is really on from my little bride! :)

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The flange issue should of been addressed before the floor was even installed. This will make for a much more difficult task, working within the confines of the inside of the pipe instead of the surrounding outside.

Spacers of that many is a leak, someday. That flange needs to be brought up to industry standard like they all are when they are installed in new construction........on top the finished floor surface. GOOD LUCK

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
2"

Your biggest problem might be finding closet bolts long enough to reach the existing flange and clamp the spacers together while also securing the toilet.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
If you have room to get in there and do so, I would consider trying to cut the existing flange away all the way down to the top edge of the pipe, then slitting the remaining hub in a few places and breaking it away from the pipe in pieces. At that point, maybe a repair coupling and a new flange with a long snout (or some other combination of parts) would get you up to the proper height.

Paperprofit

Reaction score
Rugged, LeeJosepho and HJ,

(Rugged, I kinda fibbed. I haven't installed the new subfloor yet. I agree with you. I want to fix the flange before the new floor goes down.)

So, to all three of you, do you agree that I should cut off the existing flange? It seems you must. (I'll do my best to do it exactly the way you said, LeeJosepho.)

After I cut the flange off, is it necessary to increase the size of the hole in the concrete? It looks like it's only about 3/4" bigger than the waste pipe. I guess that's enough clearance for the cement dauber...

I drilled holes in the concrete around the perimeter of the flange (in an 8" diameter) in case I have to increase the size of the hole to get the dauber down there.

Am I doing ok?

Thanks so much,
Doug

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
paperprofit said:
...existing floor (concrete slab) 2" higher ... using 2"x4" sleepers and plywood.

I got to thinking about this later ...

I would use more than 1/2" plywood. Even on top of insulation between the 2x4s, I cannot imagine that being a solid-feeling floor. Also, whatever you put down should be T&G, such as with 3/4" OSB.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks