wiring my bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

jjgmorgan

Reaction score
If I have an open 20 amp breaker for my bathroom, can I put the exhaust fan-light combo, a light over the vanity and one outlet together on that circuit?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you propose is fine assuming the fan does not have a heater. The room can and should easily be wired so that the GFCI receptacle does not feed the light/fan unit.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What you propose is fine assuming the fan does not have a heater. The room can and should easily be wired so that the GFCI receptacle does not feed the light/fan unit.

Then all bets are Off.

It has a heater, A Lightbulb.

Have Fun everyone. Just call me a Smart Ass if you like.

Got to have some Fun.

Reaction score
One circuit supplying a single bathroom would only be legal (codewise) if the home only has one bathroom. It would not have to be wired to the load side of the gfi.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Then all bets are Off.

It has a heater, A Lightbulb.

Have Fun everyone. Just call me a Smart Ass if you like.

Got to have some Fun.
Could not ten baths be wired on ten circuits?

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
One circuit supplying a single bathroom would only be legal (codewise) if the home only has one bathroom. It would not have to be wired to the load side of the gfi.
No. Look again. One circuit is only allowed to supply one bathroom if bathroom lights are on the same circuit. One circuit can supply many bathrooms if it hits only the recepts.

Reaction score
No. Look again. One circuit is only allowed to supply one bathroom if bathroom lights are on the same circuit. One circuit can supply many bathrooms if it hits only the recepts.
Well duh.... this one clearly talks of using the fan and heater. .... can you read?

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
If I have an open 20 amp breaker for my bathroom, can I put the exhaust fan-light combo, a light over the vanity and one outlet together on that circuit?
Here is the original post.
..... can you read?
I'm not so sure now. The way I read it he wants to put a bathroom on one circuit. That is allowed by code and not restricted to houses only having one bathroom.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
210.11(C)(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number
of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at
least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to
supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall
have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single
bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same
bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance
with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

Maybe he is thinking that the piping is all mixed up and the house needs to be torn down before someone gets killed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks