Wire or socket?

Users who are viewing this thread

brillo

Reaction score
When there is sticker on a light canopy stating 60 watt max., or 100 watt max., is it the socket or the gauge wire used on the socket that limits the wattage of the bulb to be used in the lamp?

brillo

Reaction score
I have a 12" stem for a pendant light, 3' of 18ga. wire running down the stem to the canopy and the socket, then the bulb and glass shade. This is the fixture. So what exactly limits the bulb wattage?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Incandescent lamps give off a fairly large amount of heat. The fixture is rated by how much it can safely radiate without melting, warping, or breaking anything or presenting a fire hazard.

Molo

Reaction score
What are the bulbs called that produce less heat? I would like to know more about these. Any info would be appreciated

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lumens per watt vary quite a bit based on the technology. The best is an LED based bulb - lasts 10's of thousands of hours, but costs a bunch still. Their prices are coming down, though, and you may see them as the replacement of choice instead of CFL (compact flourescent lamp) as they lose favor since some have heavy metals and are hazardous waste.

A basic incandescent varies, too, by technology. The color temperature (light color) varies by the type, where a halogen bulb burns brighter than a 'standard' incandescent, and thus appears brighter for the same wattage input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks