Winterizing my softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by dunkinidaho, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dunkinidaho

dunkinidaho New Member

We live in florida in the winter and are wondering if there is anything we should do to our softener for this time. Usually we just turn off the water at the well and leave. When we get home in the spring I run it through two cycles.

thanks
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Sounds like a good plan to me. Don't drain it whatever you do.
  3. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

It would not hurt to sanitize it if it sits without water flow for extended periods of time. A little bleach in the brine tank before you regenerate is all that is needed.

Chlrione will damage resin over time, but it is a cumulative equation. Intermittent sanitizing will not have any real long term negative affects on the resin.
  4. dunkinidaho

dunkinidaho New Member

thanks for the advice