Will O rings alone fix a leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rph52G

Reaction score
I recently replaced a Price Pfister ceramic cartridge valve, one -piece hot-cold volume control, cost about $26 since it was old (12 years) and started leaking. The other one was only a year old and started binding. I flushed the water line and had a lot of debris from hard water.

I'm wondering if I can add 7 new O rings and that would eliminate the cartridge leak? Or is the entire cartridge compromised due to age/hard water wear? I have no idea what size rings I'd need, even it if works. I know it's a small matter, but I like to reuse as much as possible.

Also, is it a good practice to flush the water annually? All my pipes are copper.
index.php

Attachments

• fister.jpeg
    fister.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can try lubricating the cartridge (use plumber's grease), maybe that will help.
Normally new O rings should be enough to stop a leak, but they have to be perfect fit, or they will leak too.
I think the right part is 974-242.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks