Will a 12" Rough-in work for me?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Mary G, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Mary G

Mary G New Member

We are trying to replace our toilet and have a question.

Measuring the distance from the floor hole center to the wall gave us this - 10 3/4 (ten and three quarters) inches.

We are interested in the Toto Whitney two piece toilet. It supposedly only comes in a 12 inch rough-in.

Can it work? How exact do the measurements have to be? Is there adjustment in the connection of the tank to base?

Another question - Will a 12" offset work with the Whitney in our situation? Also, will this restrict the flow much?

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    toilet

YOu have to measure the toilet itself to see if it would fit on 10 3/4", most will not, but it depends on the manufacturer. An offset collar may or may not work, depending on the material of your drain pipes and how the existing flange is installed, and which type of offset you use.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    It's unlikely a 12" would fit there. A typical installation has maybe up to 3/4" of gap between the back of the toilet and the wall. It would be best to use a 10" toilet or move the flange. Offset flanges often are a source of clogs.