wierd hot water situation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by John in T.O., Apr 25, 2005.

1. John in T.O.

John in T.O. New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    I am having trouble with my hot water, although the tank seems to be O.K.
    Temperature varies between hot and luke warm. Today as I was running the hot water in the bathroom tap, I noticed that it was luke warn until I flushed the toilet, then it became hot as the water pressure dropped. Is it possible that cold water is making its way into the hot water lines? Could a faulty shower valve cause this to happen?

Thanks in advance,

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

If you have a malfunctioning hot water circulation system that could be one of the symptoms.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    It sounds like your hot and cold water lines may be cross-connected. Cold water is leaking into the hot water lines. It could be a lot of things, it was a washing machine for me.

Think back to when the problem first started. Did you work on the plumbing or install a new appliance?

If the pipes are accessible, turn everything on and look for a hot water line that feels cold.