Widespread Faucet Handle Angles; What's Considered Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
I'm sure most people will say there's no right answer but what is considered correct?

I'm referring to the angle of the lever handles used for widespread bathroom levorotary faucets. Should they be 180 degrees apart, parallel to the back wall or slightly angled-in.

The widespread faucets that came with my house were all angled-in a bit while the standard 4" spread faucets are all at 180 degrees because they're no other option (because the valve and spout assembly are pre assembled in that orientation).

Is there one way that's considered correct? One that would be typical of a spec job? I noticed manufacturers instructions and website photos show them at 180 but what to the pros do when installing a widespread faucet with lever handles.

Photos: 180 and something less than 180.
E6QQ3HJ.jpg

yvJIDkY.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a ceramic disc faucet, then it is probably also a 1/4 turn one that will not deviate during use. In that case 180 works, as long as the broach lines up to let you do it. With compression stems which will "move" as the washer degrades, I turn them forward, like the second photo, so that as they wear they will get to the 180 position, (and then go past it).

Geobrick

Reaction score
The photos are delta faucets. They're not compression. They're more like ceramic disc but I don't think that's what delta call them. I remember compression stems from the 1960s. Like you said, as the washer would wear, the angle between the levers would increase. I remember changing the angle by removing the handle and remounting it on the stem in a slightly different position to adjust them.

It seems 180 degrees is considered correct, but a slight inward angle seems more natural to me. Especially when the sink is round or oval. In this case, maybe there's no real correct answer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If they are Delta, then then the handles position is "fixed" so wherever it is when it is installed is where it will always be. One thing about 180 degrees is that there is little room for deviation. If they are angled a slight difference is immaterial.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks