Why no PEX sweep 90 fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian80

Reaction score
I recently had to take apart some polybutylene piping in my house (ironically, it was actually the soldered joint next it which failed). I noticed their elbow fittings had a gradual sweep like this:

20200829_112240.jpg

As far as I know, in the PEX world there are 2 options to redirect a pipe in a tight space. It's either a support bracket for large radius corners, or a 90 degree fitting for sharp corners.

pex-sweep.jpg

pex-elbow.jpg

PEX and poly-b are very similar in terms of physical characteristics and fittings, so I wonder why we don't see a "sweep 90" fitting for PEX like they had for poly-b. Wouldn't they be better in terms of reducing pressure drops while still working in fairly tight corners?

Just wondering...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems logical that the tight bend to those 90s would create more constriction. But maybe the longer radius is more a function of the way copper sweat/solder fittings were made rather than the need of water flow. The predecessor to copper fittings were steel threaded fittings which had no radius and were feeding much higher GPM fixtures. Tees also have no radius to them so their flow would be equally restricted.

Reach4

Reaction score
Light discussion-- I am not making a point below.
It seems logical that the tight bend to those 90s would create more constriction. But maybe the longer radius is more a function of the way copper sweat/solder fittings were made rather than the need of water flow. The predecessor to copper fittings were steel threaded fittings which had no radius and were feeding much higher GPM fixtures.
Yes, the copper is probably formed from copper pipe. So that could be bent and form. Machining a long term would be hard, but plastic molded pex fittings could have a long sweep if they wanted.

PEX-copper stub-outs have a long sweep.
Tees also have no radius to them so their flow would be equally restricted.
Think of the discussions about what the "bull" (side port) of a tee should be used for to avoid pressure drop problems.

But the tee thing brings up a similar question: why no pex wyes? (rhetorical)

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make PEX 45° ells 1.5" and up I think. Never seen them for smaller diameters, tho my quick google shows sharkbites in 45s

Reach4

Reaction score
Or just use PEX to its full advantage and make sweeping bends rather than use elbows. Takes a bit of planning and practice to get out of the Copper fitting layout mindset.
I have not tried bending 1 inch PEX, but I suspect is is pretty hard. But if you can do it, that is going to be the lowest loss.

Saving that last 3/8 psi of drop doesn't seem that important to me, unless you are the person with the gravity feed system from the tank up the hill or your house is on the hill, and the city water pressure is low.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've used electrical conduit for 1" and larger bend supports... usually in groundwork stubbing up into a wall. I have some really nice photos of one of my jobs with elegant water distribution.. Not sure if I have photos of the house I did for a client who was OCD about flow efficiency.. or efficiency of all parts of his home. He had temperature probes all over his home as it was being constructed to graph the energy usage from intitial burn to when the home was fully insulated and constructed. We found the most efficient path for every drain and every bit of tubing reducing every possible unessecary fitting. Even more efficient tub drains! Kinda a PITA but it definately changed the way I look at things to find more efficient routes and reduce costs.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
I've used electrical conduit for 1" and larger bend supports... usually in groundwork stubbing up into a wall. I have some really nice photos of one of my jobs with elegant water distribution.. Not sure if I have photos of the house I did for a client who was OCD about flow efficiency.. or efficiency of all parts of his home. He had temperature probes all over his home as it was being constructed to graph the energy usage from intitial burn to when the home was fully insulated and constructed. We found the most efficient path for every drain and every bit of tubing reducing every possible unessecary fitting. Even more efficient tub drains! Kinda a PITA but it definately changed the way I look at things to find more efficient routes and reduce costs.

I would love to see the photos. I tried to make sweeping horizontal and vertical bends (in floors/walls; not coming up out of slab) with 1" uponor pex and gave up switching to the 90 degree plastic angles. heat/no heat didn't seem to matter. that stuff is so resistant to bending and it seems to fall right in the middle between where uponor actively depicts sweeping bends of 1/2 and 3/4; actively depicts use of preformed 90 fittings for 1.5" and above. I couldn't find any recommendation for the 1" and my apparent inability to bend it anywhere close to the radii suggested by their literature left me with a lot more 90 degree fittings than I originally expected.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
I was able to do sweeping turns like on the left easily but that 90 degree bend on the right - not sure how you did that without two issues that developed for me. When I tried to do those, I would heat the pipe with a hair dryer in order to press it into the bend support but it would often become out-of-round and flat through the curve which I wasn't at all thrilled with. Plus, I was using plastic bend supports and I was worried about the support digging into the pipe wall. I would think that would be even worse with the metal ones? in your picture you can almost make out a kink in the pipe geometry where it passes through the metal support so I am guessing the situation was similar. I didn't feel comfortable at all with the out of round and pressure on the pipe wall at the supports so I just did the plastic 90 degree fittings.