Whole House Filter Questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

jking2000

Reaction score
Wow, glad I found this Site. And hope you can help with a outstanding well problem. Our new house (4 Years) has a Whole House filter in the crawl space after the pressure tank. For years, the filter gets caked in brown mud (Looks Like Mud) and has to be replaced every Month. I called the builder, and he came out an raised the pump a little. A few years later, the frequency is now barely 2 weeks the filter needs changing. Now my calls to the builder gets answers of, live with it. Is there anything I can do or is this normal for wells.

James King

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't tell you how to fix the well. Others may suggest something about that. If you can't fix the well, your choices with the stuff in the water are as follows:

1. Live with it in your water, or
2. Remove it from the water.

Filters tend to concentrate the suspended solids in the water. You may find that they are not objectionable at the concentration they come from the well.

You might want to get the stuff analyzed to see what it is.

If you want to remove it, then you need to filter it. What you need to filter it depends on how fine it is.

If you are going to use a filter, you should determine what you want to remove, and determine how much of it the filter will remove. No practical filter removes everything, and the filters are usually rated by what percentage of a particular size particle they remove.

There are two options.
1. A granular filter (such as sand or other granular material) that is backwashed to remove the collected material. A swimming pool filter is an example of such a filter. There are others that are usually used for potable water. Municipal systems usually use granular filters with special coagulants and produce very high quality water. Household systems usually don't use coagulants.

2. Cartridge filters can remove particles down to about one micron, depending on the selected filter. That is important if you are removing pathogens, but less important if you are removing suspended solids coming from a deep well.

I use cartridge filters for surface water treatment systems. There is one very important principle when using filters. Increasing the surface area increases the capacity of each cartridge. If you double the surface area, you will get 3 to 4 times the life between changes. That is because the lower flow rate through each cartridge allows it to collect more dirt before the pressure loss increases to the limit of your system.

Applying that rule (using a factor of 3 for doubling area), if you double the size or number of your cartridges, your two weeks of life should go to 6 weeks, and if you make it 4 times your current area you should get a life of about 18 weeks (4 months). You will have cut your cartridge cost by 55% and the number of times you enter the crawl space to about 1/9 of your current crawls.

To simplify plumbing, I install filter systems that use more or larger cartridges in one housing. A convenient size for household use, where more area is required, is a 20" long "Big Blue" size cartridge. The cartridge is 4.5 inches diameter. Big Blue is a brand name of Ametek but I use a less expensive generic brand of housing.

There are different points of view on this forum regarding filters and I'm sure you will hear the other side.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
jking2000 said:
Our new house (4 Years) has a Whole House filter in the crawl space after the pressure tank. For years, the filter gets caked in brown mud (Looks Like Mud) and has to be replaced every Month.

The filter below was still letting plenty of water through when our water began tasting quite foul and it had to be changed. In our case, we are dealing with a lot of iron and possibly some clay, and I hope to be finding out precisely what and/or what else in a few days.

jking2000 said:
Is there anything I can do or is this normal for wells.

As "normal" is relative to many factors, what we have here at our place is certainly "normal" but not acceptable!

I believe you should begin by talking with a reputable well company about the actual condition of your well and listening to some good advice you are likely to get here.

Attachments

• dirtyfilter.JPG
    dirtyfilter.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 407
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks