whirlpool tub motor grounding

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by lee polowczuk, Oct 12, 2007.

1. lee polowczuk

lee polowczuk New Member

in my haste, i neglected to hook up a separate grounding wire after I installed a whirlpool tub in my bathroom

the motor and heater are on separate circuits and each is hooked up to a GFCI circuit breaker at the box

Are we in any imminent danger not having the ground wire hooked up from the motor to a metal pipe?

I will have to open up the side skirt of the tub and do this....

i guess the real question is..what does the motor ground do?
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

First the conductor that connects from the motor to the metal water pipe is not a ground.

The purpose of this conductor is to make the metal pipe and motor have the same touch potential. It bonds the two together so there is no difference in voltages between the two.

It is called a “bonding conductor†and yes it needs to be installed before anyone uses the tub.

It should be a #8 or larger conductor
  3. lee polowczuk

lee polowczuk New Member

thanks.. i will work on it this weekend.

EDIT: Thanks, I took care of this..... had to run a #8 copper from my heater to my motor..and then another copper from my motor to the copper cold water pipe in the basement.

This was per instructions for the heater.....
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2007