Whirlpool Flame Lock Heater Often Fails to Maintain Hot Water ("False" Status Light)

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Tyr, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Tyr

Tyr New Member

Hi, I have a Whirlpool Energy Smart gas water heater with flame lock that all of a sudden often fails to maintain a tank of hot water throughout the day (has never done this before). One time I take a hot shower, then after a few hours, no hot water. I go to the heater and the status light indicator says normal (1 flash every 3 seconds) and the pilot light is still lit. Another time was before showering (ugh).

This happens throughout the day and every time I go check the heater, theres a normal indicator light and the pilot light is lit, it just refuses to crank up any gas/heat unless I reset it by turning the heater off for a few mins and turning it back on; pilot light stays lit, it fires up without any problems and I get hot water after a few minutes. This has been my band-aid solution but its getting annoying.

I have little sense of any of this and dare not mess with anything for fear I will do something stupid/unsafe. Also have a CO and smoke detector next to my heater for safety. I have searched a little through the stickied Whirlpool thread here but it seems that most people have a completely failed thermocouple and their pilot lights won't light at all, but mine works fine per se. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

As you probably realize, this is not a favored brand. My best advice is to call a service man that is familiar with the Whirlpool heaters. I know you are looking for an inexpensive DIY fix, but sometimes that just isn't possible.