Which brand/type Salt do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

TedHouston

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm getting ready to install Fleck 7000 backwash filter and softener so I went to purchase some salts. Went to local HomeDepot but they only had no name brand(I wanted Morton brand) so I went to local water treatment store. The owner gave me a long lecture on why I need to use good quality (expensive $25/bag vs. Mortons $6/bag) salts.

Could you give me your advice on this? I don't mind paying little more for trouble free operation of my system. Thanks :)

Reach4

Reaction score
I use Morton System Saver II Water Softening Pellets. Many recommend solar salt, but those are usually in places where solar salt is cheaper than pellets.

If you have iron into the softener, I think the anti-iron/red versions are worth the extra. I presume your filter takes out the iron before the softener, so you don't need that feature.

That expensive salt is probably potassium salt. It is much more expensive, and it also is tricky to use right because its solubility changes a lot with temperature. Regular sodium salt's solubility does not change much with temperature.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I used to sell many millions of pounds of salt every year for commercial softening, the low cost, fairly clean solar salt was just fine. Do not spend $25 for a bag of salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks