Whats wrong with this DWV iso drawing for basement bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Graham Love

Reaction score
1710721620362.png

Hello,
How did I do on this DWV plan for a basement bath?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Two comments:

- For the lav to wet vent the WC and shower as shown (which is fine in that order under the IPC), the laundry standpipe drain needs to be kept separate from the bathroom fixtures. The two drains can be joined downstream of all 4 fixtures. So reroute the laundry standpipe into the slab and separate from the 3" until downstream of the 3x3x2 shower wye.

- The configuration in blue on the right looks weird. If's an existing rough in for a half-bath that you aren't putting in that location, it can stay as is if the WC rough-in is properly sealed up. But if you're opening up the slab in that area, you should figure out how the WC rough-in ties in and perhaps simplify it. If no fixtures are going in that area, you could eliminate the WC rough-in and the blue pipe from the vent tee-point downstream to the wye under the slab.

Cheers, Wayne

Graham Love

Reaction score
HI Wayne! I was hoping you would get a chance to take a look at this!

-I have separated the laundry from the bathroom fixtures.
-Yes, it is an existing rough in for a 1/2 bath. I thought it was interesting that the main stack and clean out is 3" but the WC rough in is 4" (and is filled w/ dirt...). I am going to investigate further on the existing rough in and hopefully simplify.
maybe even slide the 3" (yellow) so that it hits blue @ 45?

Thank you very much!
1710726637879.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
People often like to use a 3x4 reducing closet bend, so if you excavate the 4" hole in the floor you may find that as the drain turns horizontal it reduces to 3".

It's fine to leave the half-bath rough-in as is if it's not in the way, but the closet flange should be sealed off with an internal plug made for the purpose, not dirt. What is missing from your diagram is likely that the blue WC fixture drains connects to the horizontal blue drain between the vertical blue vent above the floor (which was intended to receive the lav and wet vent the WC) and the downstream blue wye you show below the floor.

If you do want to make it go away, you'd remove the closet flange and the unpictured wye it goes to; then your new 3" drain could connect where that wye was (or if you don't connect there, you'd remove the pictured blue wye as well). You'd also change the blue/blue/grey vent tee above to just an elbow, removing the blue vent.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks legal to me . vents through roofs in cold climate might need increasing but 1 1/2 vents are very common. except in commercial settings my experiance is no 1 1/2 vents at all due to simplicity and at one time cast iron futtings and pipe savings were little if any savings that may have changed not sure .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks