What would be the best rock solid glue/adhesion for this application

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
I want to adhere a threshold to flooring tile. The back of the marble threshold is pretty pourous with a rather rough sawn apperance and feel to it. The problem comes in when i adhere that to a fairly smooth flooring ceramic tile face. I have tryed sanding and scuffing up the tile. My thoughts were in the future (rental property) for this client, if the threshold or floor replacing is needed cracked tile etc. I don't want to, or the next person who might have to... use a jack hammer...lol. So, a glue that bonds very well and flexable to.
Am i asking to much here from technology...lol. Liquid nails? Thanks all!

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Regardless of adhesive, I would roughen the surface of the tile with a grinder or dremel to give the adhesive something to bite into.

Try a 2-part epoxy, the kind that comes in double-tube syringes at Home Depot/Lowe's. Might need 2 or 3 tubes for a threshhold. Mix and apply according to the instructions.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm bad to use JB weld to stuff like that... wonder if that would work?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you may want to remove it someday, try using an adhesive caulk like Polyseamseal makes.

DIY

Reaction score
glue/bond

Polyseamseal does not work... in this case.That was my initial thinking that would work. Polyseamseal works perfecto when adhering porous type glued and glued to things. I tryed the acrylic and the siloconized polyseamseal no luck with either. It's the smooth type finish on the floor tiles thats a problem...(nothing for any glue to adhere to) Short of taking a belt sander etc. to it... However,another glue called Weldbond deals well with surfaces as the floor tile has i hear...JB weld that may be an option,but I haven't had the best of luck with that glue really either in the past.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have used silicone anything you will have to sand / rough up the surface as there will be a layer / coating of silicone that will not allow good adhesion of anything.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just remembered there is a new product for gluing wall surrounds to walls it is made by Locktite I believe. They had an ad on TV where they glue a hammer to a ceiling with it.

I think this will work but you will need to give it time to dry. Check it out.

Prashster

Reaction score
Epoxy or thinset will work. (not mastic or premixed tset, though).
But won't save you the jackhammer work if you chg yr mind.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
two opposing desires: to remove it without any damage to it or to the tile floor, and secondly, to make it stick the most.

if you want to be able to remove the marble later without any damage to the surface of the tile, use hot glue. Heat the marble threshold in the oven first. Hot glue will give you enough hardness and support you need so the marble won't crack. My saying this is not a strong recommendation to do this. If you really want to be able to remove it later without harming the surface of the tiled floor underneath, it will allow you to achieve that goal.

There is always some risk of cracking any threshold; some people wear high heels and place an enormous dynamic load on a single pin point, while other people weigh 350 lbs and also place an extremely high load on a point, if they step on it. Regardless of the type of cement or glue. Obviously Portland cement glues and epoxy cement glues are the best at supporting "tonnes" -- but this doesn't appear to be your main criterion today.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks