what tool do you use to clean smaller pipes?

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by Pipe7000, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Pipe7000

Pipe7000 New Member

hi,
    i was wondering what the preferred tool would be to clean smaller lines such as sinks, bathtubs etc. I know there are handheld tools like the super Vee, as well as units that sit on the floor with a guide hose, like the Rigid K40. What are the pros and cons of either tool? which do you prefer and why?

thanks
  2. Jay Mpls

Jay Mpls Master plumber

Great big fan of the Ridgid K39af. No problem getting through traps and has a feeder.
    So even doing an overhead tub line is a neater easier job!
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

snake

For those I use my Rigid cordless unit, which they decided to discontinue and stop making batteries for it. Which means someday it will become "useless".
  4. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I have a cheap little Ridgid Auto-spin that works pretty good for what it is. The clutch system is plastic though so I'm just waiting for it to break heh.
  5. jonebell

jonebell New Member

Hey,
    You can scrape your resin with a sharp knife or even tweezers. When you've scraped your resin, soak the pipe in isopropyl alcohol until it's clean. You may have to rub it mid-way through the soak with a paper towel or brush.

Thanks.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Ummm I think perhaps we might be talking about a different type of pipe cleaning...
    Maybe you got lost on the way to the High Times Forums....:rolleyes:

And Hi there Spammer Marcy Tate...
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. Plumbermurrieta

Plumbermurrieta Plumber

-Rigid pipe, usually installed in new homes, makes a neater installation, but it is much more difficult to install than soft, flexible copper pipe.
    -Flexible copper pipe is best for repair work since it can be run around obstacles without connections or cuts.
    -Copper pipe is available in three basic types: Type M is thin-walled, Type L is medium-walled and Type K is thick-walled. In most cases, Type L is good for home use.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Murietta. None of that applies to the original question regarding cleaning small drain lines.