What size water softener? 7 grains of hardness

Users who are viewing this thread

crabjoe

Reaction score
Years ago, when I had my water checked and it came in, I think, at 11 grains of hardness.. In fact I've had to replace my water heater in under 5 years because the copper was done... Had to fix a few other copper pipes over the years too. Thank God most of the house was done with CPVC.

I picked up a Hach 5B kit and checked and now it's at 7 grains. I didn't know hardness would change like that over so many years... but I guess it's possible.

The house is on well water and I'm hoping to move out of here in the next 12 months.. These days it's just myself and I have my son 1/2 the time, so there's not much water usage. The house is a 4br, 2.5 bath in size. I don't like soft water, but I figure I need to get one because these hard water stains are killing me!

I'm being realistic since I'm planning on moving.... I figure I need to go cheap ... what size water softener should I get? Will a 32000 grain be enough for 4 people (Remember, I'm planning on moving, but I'd like to size it for 4 people), or should I get a 40K softener?

BTW, I'm pretty set on just getting a GE unit since again, I'll be moving... If anyone knows of something cheaper, please let me know.

Thanks!

DIYMissus

Reaction score
At 7 gpg you don't need a softener at all. https://www.health.state.mn.us/comm...e decision to soften is,or look of your water.

The decision to soften is a personal choice that can affect your home and the environment. If your water’s hardness is greater than 7 grains per gallon or 120 mg/L, then you might need a water softener to ensure your appliances run well and to improve the taste, smell, or look of your water.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I wish my water was at 7 grains of harrdness..... Ours is at 24 parts hard and full of lime.....

you really dont need a water softener, but it fyou must get one just get a dirt cheap 30k unit from lowes when they go on sale...

A better idea is maybe instead you ought to consider an activated carbon filter
to take out the chlorine and chlormines and other chemicals they put in the city water.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks