What is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
This is sticking out from the wall in a closet on an extension of a friend's house.

Looks like bx coming into it and its not an outlet. Looks like a black wire is spliced into it. The wall used to be the exterior of the house.

Is it some sort of antenna splice or cable TV? All I have is the picture to go on. The light grey wire is not connected to the handy box.

Thanks.

20160121_111431.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Very early "outdoor reset" sensor for a hydronic heating system?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It's definitely not a telephone demarc. I would check if there is any live power on it. If not cut it out. If there is better take care of it. Trace both ends to see if anything is attached to it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes it is. It's an old surge protector for telephone service and in my home that I grew up in had one in the basement but without the exterior metal box. They were replaced with much smaller carbon units. The two brass color hex heads are the carbon protectors. The picture above still doesn't look like one. If they could open it up I'd be certain.

Attachments

• 1024px-Demarc2.JPG
    1024px-Demarc2.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 173

Bluebinky

Reaction score
For some reason, I read right past the bx part. Any chance of getting a picture of what's inside? I does look like an old demarc, but it could be almost anything...

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
If I go back there I will get a pic. It's just horrible that whomever built the addition just left that dangling there like that.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's just horrible that whomever built the addition just left that dangling there like that.
I hope this continues to appear horrible to you, and not later get your standard changed by something much worse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks