What is this and what does it do for my NG furnace?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by greaper, Apr 14, 2013.

1. greaper

greaper New Member

I have a rental house and the other day my tenant called to tell me that there was no heat or AC. After further investigation I found that I had a bad EZ-TRAP float switch. I also noticed that there was a pair of wires just hanging that I thought was connected to this device that is on the exhaust flue. Can someone tell me what these pictures are of and what is it used for? I am also not sure if there is supposed to be two wires going to the small device in front or just one?

IMG_20130414_184429_342.jpg IMG_20130414_184502_222.jpg
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It is a barometric damper and a thermostatic switch that has been defeated.
  3. greaper

greaper New Member

Thank you for the quick answer. Two questions. What is a barometric damper? How is the thermostatic switch supposed to wired? I assume that if the temperate rises to high at the switch that it is supposed to cut off the unit?
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I'm not a HVAC tech so I cannot cite code, but that thermostatic switch does not look like a code compliant setup. I think it was probably something that a well meaning DIY'er jury rigged. My guess is it was meant to detect a flue reversal (downdraft). I would use a CO detector to monitor for flue reversal.

The barometric damper regulates the amount of draft by mixing in cooler room air whenever the draft is too strong.
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

It is a 180 degree Presidential solution. And it does not belong there.
  6. greaper

greaper New Member

Again, thank you for the replies. I guess based on that I will remove it and not worry about it.
  7. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Did you find the original problem with it ? Why it was not working.
  8. greaper

greaper New Member

Yep, it was the EZ-TRAP float.
  9. Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply New Member

Someone installed an warp disc limit (180F "Flue Draft Spillage") switch on your barometric relief damper. They must have had a venting issue and band-aided the problem.