what is maximum drain pipe length allowed

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by t-roy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. t-roy

t-roy New Member

I have a laundry tub that sits 1 1/2 feet from a vent stack. The tub currently is one of those concrete two section tubs. I'm removing it and replacing with a single resin tub.

The current drainage for the tub is directly into the vent stack with a P trap.

The bottom of the new tub sits higher than the old concrete tub, so I want to extend the drain pipe out of the bottom of the new tub, into the P trap, so the horizonatl pipe off the P will enter the vent at a near horizontal position, (as I understand it must).

I am wondering how long of a drain pipe is allowed. I think I need about a 10" drain pipe, which would put the bottom of the P trap pipe at approx 6 " off of the floor.

Is there any code issue with having a 10 " drain pipe, and for having the P trap as close as 6" to the floor?

T-roy
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

I am not sure I understand the question, because the "P" traps elevation should not change. You can use up to an 18" long tailpiece between the sink and the trap.