What height to install my niche relative to my subfloor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm planning to put a niche in my shower. Two of the walls are exterior walls (2x4 construction) so there is only one interior wall to work with. This wall contains all of my plumbing. I have the shower pressure balancing valve at about 48" and the shower outlet at about 78". If I install a Kerdi 12" x 20", how far about the PBV should I place the bottom 2x4 used to support the niche? I am thinking that there may be considerations regarding clearance of the shower trim (exterior) and clearance for the pipe going from the PBV to the connector for the shower head outlet.

Right now the pipe bring water to the shower head goes straight up the wall. The pipe enters the connector from the bottom. Can this connector be rotated and installed 90 degrees to its current setup. I am thinking I will need to do this as the pipe will be routed around the niche.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Will the user's be adults, or are there some children involved? That will somewhat help to determine the height of the niche. ANother thing to consider is if there will be any trim lines (decorative tile) involved, and how you want that to interact with the aesthetics of the niche placement, or if there are no accent tiles on the wall. I concur that I would not want to put one in an exterior wall...things could literally freeze in there! 1/2" KerdiBoard is only about R-2 or so.

Would you have enough width to consider putting a niche to the side of the valve? Maybe two of them, one on either side?

Jechow

Reaction score
Hi Jadnashua

Thanks for the insightful questions.

There will be no children using this shower. In terms of aesthetics, I planning to consult with my tiler but i was hoping to have an idea of what people thought would be the best height before talking to him. Unfortunately, there is insufficient width to place the niche on either side of the shower value. The only spot for it is above the shower valve.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks