What did I do wrong? Slow drain...

Users who are viewing this thread

bryce

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just installed a new bathroom sink in my basement. There was an existing sink on an adjacent wall, during remodeling I moved the sink by extending the pipes. After I had it all hooked up, the drain was draining extremely slow. If you look at the picture below.....when I loosen this screw (indicated by the red arrow) and allow air to get into the drain pipe, the sink drains fine.

I have installed an AAV because there was no existing vent pipe, although I'm only about 4 feet from the main stack, and I did not have any drainage issues in the old sink. The drain is 1 1/2" pipe.

What did I do wrong? The drain does not leak, is it okay to leave it this way?

Thank you for the help!

Bryce

pipes1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are misdiagnosing the problem and cure. You are NOT letting air into the pipe, you are letting air OUT. The air is being trapped between the water in the sink and the water in the trap, for some reason.

Usually it escapes through the overflow passage in the sink but you may have a sink without an overflow drain opening.

Last edited by a moderator:

bryce

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

You are correct, this sink does not have an overflow drain. So how do I remedy the problem correctly?

Thanks,
Bryce

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If there are no holes in the sink itself you need to get a drain for a vessel sink (I don't know what you have on there) which should help but, it's never going to drain as well as the old one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a grid drain, it is likely the holes are too small.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pop-up assembly has to lift higher so the air can escape even with the water over it. Some drains can do it easily, by removing the pop-up plug, rotating it 180 degrees, and then reinstalling it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks