What cfm vent fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

CentralTXPreacher

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this question goes here, but it does have to do with the shower and steam. I am going to be putting in a new vent fan as the one we now have is builder grade, loud and not big enough (50 cfm). My question is, when figuring the size of bathroom to calculate the size of fan, do I include the closet or not? the bathroom roughly is 10X10 with 10 foot ceiling. The linen closet is approx 3X3. From my calculations, not subtracting out the closet, I will need a 130 CFM fan. If I subtract out the closet, I will only need a 120 CFM fan. I could not believe it but just 10cfm makes a fairly decent difference on the price. Of course my wife also wants one with sones below 2 and a light. Any suggestions of brands would also be appreciated. I'm looking at broan, panasonic, hunter and harbor breeze.

Thanks for your help.

Central Tx Preacher

Rayh78

Reaction score
My vote would be Panasonic then Broan.
OK with the 120 cfm model.
Add a Leviton push button wall timer.
On average you want to leave the fan on for about 20 minutes after a shower.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For a basic bathroom, builders use about 6 air changes per hour. Your 1000 cuft specs out at 100 cfm. I like to use closer to 10 changes, so that would be about 160 cfm. If you have an actual steam shower, that is a different animal, and I would refer to the manufacturer for info.

When you get in this ballpark, both the cfm needs and the sound issue point to a remotely located inline duct booster. See www.fantech.net

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks