What am I doing wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

alyons9032

Reaction score
I recently started my own plumbing business! Its only been about a month but business just doesn't seem like its going to go anywhere. My uncle had his own business too so a lot of the equipment I have, he has given me. I picked up a couple used Uhaul box trucks, hired a small fleet of good working men.... but something just feels like its missing. What do I need to make my business take off?! Any advice?:confused:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you in the yellow pages yet?
Website?
Advertising?

A fleet and a bunch of guys without an established customer base is putting the cart before the horse...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
business

The thing you are missing is customers.

Even well established businesses are slow right now, so why would you expect yours to take off?

Did you have some indication that customers were going to flock to your doors, and that is why you started "big" with two trucks and a "large" crew? Something other than people telling you, "Why don't you start your own business? I would call you if you did." That, and "the check is in the mail" may be two assurances you could live without.

You may be ripe for the, "Give me a good price on these first houses, and I will let you do the work in the rest of them" assurances from a home builder when the economy improves.

3m

Reaction score
Advertise,Advertise,Advertise.......Most people need to hear the same name 10 times before they remember it. Stupid commercials stick in peoples minds too, remember head on they repeat it twenty times on the commercial and most people remember that name. And you need to network, join a business group like BNI that helps to promote each other and volunteer your self and or company for free advertising. Good luck most people stick with people they know until they get mad or a better deal comes along

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You got a fleet of guys standing around with nothing to do. How about this:

Clean a couple of guys up real good. Give them some shoe cover booties....lots of ladies really appreciate that......then send them door to door with a box of fluidmaster blue toilet tabs. Have them offer a free toilet leak test....no questions asked. Make sure they have your business card or some flyers to leave.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Great Idea Jimbo!
Kerching!
We will inspect your plumbing for free!
Kerching!

These old U-Haul Trucks...
Are they still looking like U-Haul Trucks?
If so get them to the paint shop!
Are they Box trucks?
They can be rolling billboards for your company!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks